cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

@BennyHwrote:

So what setting is everyone settling with?

I've stuck mine on 1080i and will use the tv's Netflix and YouTube apps.

It looks like VM can't/won't do anything to fix this so I'll grin and bear it till I can cancel.

About that but then manually selecting 576I and deselecting everything else when watching SD content.

This is so disappointing, it used to work in the early days when it was presumably closer to out of the box TiVo firmware. That was bank in the day the IP service was still active and you could get an incomplete handshake on the TiVo app..... And then they removed that and about same time this firmware bug happened, and now had been brought over onto v+.

I can now see they'd reworded the help screen from the original text so presumably they think is now fixed.

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Really disappointing that they think it's fixed. Appalling service and lack of support from VM.

@crypticcwrote:

@BennyHwrote:

It looks like VM can't/won't do anything to fix this so I'll grin and bear it till I can cancel.

About that but then manually selecting 576I and deselecting everything else when watching SD content.

This is so disappointing, it used to work in the early days when it was presumably closer to out of the box TiVo firmware. That was bank in the day the IP service was still active and you could get an incomplete handshake on the TiVo app..... And then they removed that and about same time this firmware bug happened, and now had been brought over onto v+.

I can now see they'd reworded the help screen from the original text so presumably they think is now fixed.

Chris

The wording on the info screen for video output settings is still the same for me. It's still saying Native mode will allow the tv to do all the upscaling and it still does nothing of the sort. Where do you see a change in the wording?

I'll recheck and take a photo

@crypticcwrote:

@BennyHwrote:

Chris

Ok, as a comparison, these pics were taken from my post on this thread in March 2017:

"Fixed Mode" is selected by selecting just the one best single format supported by the TV and this will allow all content to be passed to the TV, which is then scaled to that format by the V6."

Info1.JPG

"Native Mode" is selected by selecting ALL video formats supported by the TV, and the content will be passed straight through to the TV without the V6 scaling."

and

"Hybrid Mode"  converts only the formats the TV does not support"

Info2.JPG

There was also this wording as well:

Info3.JPG

Now, these are the pics I took last night:

Info4.JPG

Info5.JPG

Info6.JPG

As far as I can tell - the wording is 100% exactly the same so essentially NOTHING has changed since this time last year.....

Smiley Indifferent

What I don't get though is this - if Native Mode" is selecting ALL video formats supported by the TV, and the content will be passed straight through to the TV without the V6 scaling, and "Hybrid Mode"  converts only the formats the TV does not support and selecting only the formats that my TV supports  and the V6 will make the best choice in converting the source video - isn't selecting all video formats supported by the TV, Native Mode??

Smiley Frustrated

Oddly enough, my disabled 576i (and 576p) menu options have reappeared sometime over the last few days. I've set the allowed resolutions to 576i and 1080i for regular broadcast TV material, and pass-through-only for 1080p and 2160p. Not that I expect the V6 to actually follow my instructions, but hey maybe one day they'll get around to fixing it.

Andre

@deans6571wrote:

@crypticcwrote:

@BennyHwrote:

Chris

Ok, as a comparison, these pics were taken from my post on this thread in March 2017:

"Fixed Mode" is selected by selecting just the one best single format supported by the TV and this will allow all content to be passed to the TV, which is then scaled to that format by the V6."

Info1.JPG

"Native Mode" is selected by selecting ALL video formats supported by the TV, and the content will be passed straight through to the TV without the V6 scaling."

and

"Hybrid Mode"  converts only the formats the TV does not support"

Info2.JPG

There was also this wording as well:

Info3.JPG

Now, these are the pics I took last night:

Info4.JPG

Info5.JPG

Info6.JPG

As far as I can tell - the wording is 100% exactly the same so essentially NOTHING has changed since this time last year.....

Smiley Indifferent

What I don't get though is this - if Native Mode" is selecting ALL video formats supported by the TV, and the content will be passed straight through to the TV without the V6 scaling, and "Hybrid Mode"  converts only the formats the TV does not support and selecting only the formats that my TV supports  and the V6 will make the best choice in converting the source video - isn't selecting all video formats supported by the TV, Native Mode??

Smiley Frustrated

Ib agree that's how it was. Thought when I checked a month ago it was different but I will recheck.  The issue used to be that you couldn't pick all options for " native" because it would pick the"highest" instead.   

I notice now that the real US TiVo software now has explicit native option. I wonder if they changed the logic and failed to add the extra attribute

So I rechecked .You are correct it is exactly Dane as before.  I don't know, I'm sure that ifI seen it with different text a month or two ago. Maybe I dreamt it, lol

@crypticcwrote:

So I rechecked .You are correct it is exactly Dane as before.  I don't know, I'm sure that ifI seen it with different text a month or two ago. Maybe I dreamt it, lol

Mandela effect confirmed!👍

I'm wondering if the various settings mentioned in this thread actually effect different programs on different channels......

As an example, I currently have my V6 outputting to 1080i and 2160 Passthrough to my 50" 4K UHD Samsung TV however, I do notice that when watching something like EastEnders, the scenes are often not very sharp and certainly do not look like they are being upscaled to 4K by either the box or the TV.

However, when watching something like MasterChef, the program looks totally different and does look like its being upscaled to 4K as everything looks very clear and sharp!?!

Smiley Frustrated