cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

@valleyboy22wrote:

My hdr is turned on and thought this does improve quality on picture. So I presume no one has theirs turned on then, so if this the case thrn what is your v6 settings? HD and sd, because sd picture i have noticed is really poor on the higher pic settings on the v6

...yep, my HDR is turned off. I currently have my V6 set to '2160 and 2160 Passthrough'. Like I said earlier, I see no differences than if I chose '1080i and 2160 Passthrough'.

What is your sd channels like, because mine are terrible on the 2160 settings but my hdr is on so might turn if off to see if makes a difference? 

Mines on 2160 hdr off and it looks terrible.

Answerd my question thanks and agree it' sshocking quality on this setting 

Im going to escalate this further and ill let you know how it goes. I will do it by letter(recorded delivery).

Can I leave without penalty if this issue isn't fixed?

@valleyboy22wrote:

What is your sd channels like, because mine are terrible on the 2160 settings but my hdr is on so might turn if off to see if makes a difference? 

...I don't think its the fault of the V6 that SD channels look terrible.

If you read through some posts on AV Forums, primarily this one: https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-best-value-tvs-2017-edition.2120104/ , you will note that its a given that SD channels generally look terrible on any large 4K TV. It's not the fault of the V6.....

Maybe ring them first n see what they say. I have been meaning to do this, but at the moment I have just left it to 720p

Ok, I have just done some further testing on my Samsung 50” MU6120. I am sitting 2-3metres away from th screen and on my TV, selecting the UHD Colour option (so effectively, turning on HDR) makes zero differences to the  picture quality when viewing either a SD channel or an HD channel. 

Similarly, switching between the 720, 1080i and 2160 options within the V6 Settings screen, again, makes zero differences to the picture quality (whether I have HDR turned on or not) on my TV. In my honest opinion, I think this is becuase, like I said earlier, at this screen size, the differences are minimal at best unless you are sitting literally 1 foot away from the screen and are scrutinising every single straight line and edge on the  screen. 

wrote:

@valleyboy22wrote:

If you read through some posts on AV Forums, primarily this one: https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-best-value-tvs-2017-edition.2120104/ , you will note that its a given that SD channels generally look terrible on any large 4K TV. It's not the fault of the V6.....

Hi Dean

For me at least this is not true.  The SD channels are heavily compressed, yes, but for example SD Blu-ray and terrestrial looks fine.   So the fault is definitely Virgin. Also for me at least there's definitely a difference between TiVo scaling 576i to 1080i or even 2160p and the superior processing in the telly

But If I pick 576i to allow my TV to get the native signal is ignored. That is a bug. Fact.

If I pick 1080i to get HD natively then SD needs to be scaled twice, which is bad and easily notifiable that is a fact.  I accept you may not notice it 

The problem with SD is less noticeable if I pick a solitary 2160p but that brings other (different) issues that from your TV I now understand why you're not affected. See below for that problem. Cheers

@deans6571wrote:

Ok, I have just done some further testing on my Samsung 50” MU6120. I am sitting 2-3metres away from th screen and on my TV, selecting the UHD Colour option (so effectively, turning on HDR) makes zero differences to the  picture quality when viewing either a SD channel or an HD channel. 

Similarly, switching between the 720, 1080i and 2160 options within the V6 Settings screen, again, makes zero differences to the picture quality (whether I have HDR turned on or not) on my TV. In my honest opinion, I think this is becuase, like I said earlier, at this screen size, the differences are minimal at best unless you are sitting literally 1 foot away from the screen and are scrutinising every single straight line and edge on the  screen. 

I agree difference between static image of HD at 2160p scanned by the TiVo and HD at 1080i scaled by the TV is minimal. That wasn't the issue.

The problem with selecting 2160p to workaround the SD 576i issue is that resolution becomes broken.  The problem is that 2160p is 50hz progressive rather than interlaced, which not all TVs can get back to the 24hz film cadence by a prices known as reverse pull-down which ignores the extra repeated frames.

My TV can do that for interlaced 50i and 60i images but cannot do that for 50p or 60p signals. So for me there's a very big difference between 1080i which my TV can get back to 24p by reverse pull-down, and 1080p or 2160p which it cannot.  

So for me at least 2160p is not the best it can bev and easily worse than 1080i  and it's frustrating that the workaround for the SD bug is to force 2160p which breaks that motion for HD.

I also mentioned why I now understand why you don't see a difference on HD material

Rtings test of your TV confirmed it cannot do 24p or recover 24p from 50i/60i or 50p/60p. That is why you don't see a difference at 2160p because it's equally juddery if you don't mind me saying that.   You may even find the motion quality is similar to Blu-ray as every four frames that should be ABCD get played at AABBBCCDDD in order to get to 60hz native refresh of your TV, or maybe sped up a little and then played as AABBBCCDDD which is better but needs a little jump now and again to keep audio in sync.

Kind regards

Chris

P.s.  motion processing. (the more detailed review of the TV gives MU6120 same results as the  UJ6300 and that is in the comparison table.  My TV if lg E6)

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6100

You need to click on both v1.1 and v1.0 results to see both your Samsung

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

@crypticcwrote:

wrote:

@valleyboy22wrote:

Hi Dean

For me at least this is not true.  The SD channels are heavily compressed, yes, but for example SD Blu-ray and terrestrial looks fine.   So the fault is definitely Virgin. Also for me at least there's definitely a difference between TiVo scaling 576i to 1080i or even 2160p and the superior processing in the telly

But If I pick 576i to allow my TV to get the native signal is ignored. That is a bug. Fact.

If I pick 1080i to get HD natively then SD needs to be scaled twice, which is bad and easily notifiable that is a fact.  I accept you may not notice it 

The problem with SD is less noticeable if I pick a solitary 2160p but that brings other (different) issues that from your TV I now understand why you're not affected. See below for that problem. Cheers

@deans6571wrote:

I agree difference between static image of HD at 2160p scanned by the TiVo and HD at 1080i scaled by the TV is minimal. That wasn't the issue.

The problem with selecting 2160p to workaround the SD 576i issue is that resolution becomes broken.  The problem is that 2160p is 50hz progressive rather than interlaced, which not all TVs can get back to the 24hz film cadence by a prices known as reverse pull-down which ignores the extra repeated frames.

My TV can do that for interlaced 50i and 60i images but cannot do that for 50p or 60p signals. So for me there's a very big difference between 1080i which my TV can get back to 24p by reverse pull-down, and 1080p or 2160p which it cannot.  

So for me at least 2160p is not the best it can bev and easily worse than 1080i  and it's frustrating that the workaround for the SD bug is to force 2160p which breaks that motion for HD.

I also mentioned why I now understand why you don't see a difference on HD material

Rtings test of your TV confirmed it cannot do 24p or recover 24p from 50i/60i or 50p/60p. That is why you don't see a difference at 2160p because it's equally juddery if you don't mind me saying that.   You may even find the motion quality is similar to Blu-ray as every four frames that should be ABCD get played at AABBBCCDDD in order to get to 60hz native refresh of your TV, or maybe sped up a little and then played as AABBBCCDDD which is better but needs a little jump now and again to keep audio in sync.

Kind regards

Chris

P.s.  motion processing. (the more detailed review of the TV gives MU6120 same results as the  UJ6300 and that is in the comparison table.  My TV if lg E6)

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6100

You need to click on both v1.1 and v1.0 results to see both your Samsung

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/24p

...great piece of info there and very interesting - appreciated. Smiley Happy

Yea, looked at the ratings on rtings and additionally, the 'judder' video here:

If I am completely honest, to my eyes, the judder is extremly minimal and certainly barely noticeable when watching the moving motorcycle in the video above.  

I also do not see this judder on my TV (even though Rtings does indeed state it is there) so again, to my eyes, I can't see it when watching normal TV programs or movies (either streamed via an app or recorded on my V6). However, I did indeed spot it when I watched Holby last night - when the program ended and the credits rolled, it was quite noticeable then as the credits scrolled from bottom to top of the screen, but other than that, I am not able to see it.

I guess this affects different people in different ways!