cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

Right. But at this rate they won't be the preferred method of delivery either. Just cheapest / fastest broadband with shield or chromecast or sky now or vudu or Kodi to deliver the content. Wake up Virgin, it's happening and it's happening now! Sort your technology out or you'll be that forgotten yellow pages on the doorstep.
----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Sky Q without a satellite dish is due to be launched in 2018. This will interest some people who cannot get or do not want a dish on their property. Details on how it will work are sketchy but it's obvious that a fast and reliable broadband service will be necessary for the consumer - which is what I've got from Virgin Media.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi. I've signed up with virgin and will have services installed soon. This thread is worrying to say the least. However, I'm wondering what setting I'd need on a 4k tv to display 1080 HD content correctly. I never watch 576 sd channels and have no use for the tivo 2160 Netflix or YouTube as my sony tv already has built in 4k apps. If I simply want 1080I or 1080p coming out of the tivo v6 without tivo scaling does this bug affect me?

And what is the best video output setting for displaying 1080I/p? Thanks very much

If you never watch 576 Just set to 1080.

This link may help with the rest of your question
http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=C029&pid=601&live=209〈=en

E.g. sky one hd was 12 Mbps on Virgin peaking at 17.9. but 9.5/15.5 on Sky satellite. The problem is that Virgin uses mpeg2 whereas sky uses mpeg4 so assuming similar encoding standards the sky stream is loads better than Virgin.

Also to my knowledge no one ever said Virgin hd isn't sometimes 720 so if it looks rubbish, and lots does, bit maybe that's because of the antiquated compression, then I suspect that's 720 content scaled to 1080

@crypticc wrote:
If you never watch 576 Just set to 1080.

This link may help with the rest of your question
http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=C029&pid=601&live=209⟨=en

E.g. sky one hd was 12 Mbps on Virgin peaking at 17.9. but 9.5/15.5 on Sky satellite. The problem is that Virgin uses mpeg2 whereas sky uses mpeg4 so assuming similar encoding standards the sky stream is loads better than Virgin.

Also to my knowledge no one ever said Virgin hd isn't sometimes 720 so if it looks rubbish, and lots does, bit maybe that's because of the antiquated compression, then I suspect that's 720 content scaled to 1080

Broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i, not 720p. 

Looks like upscaled 720 HD/576 SD to me most of the time. It may say 1080 on the tin but I promise you it's not native 1080.

BBC is better than sky and scifi natgeo, Dave etc which look shocking, even for modern recordings. On that link you can see why. (Some descriptions haven't been updated for the channels) bbc use constant bitrate 16 whereas sky uses vbr as low as 2.

Sky channels are sometimes better from the non hd channel and letting the TV scale... SD compressed well is better than HD that's had most of the pixels thrown away to fit in their mpeg2 streams.
Virgin were supposed to have gotten off mpeg2 but I've seen threads of people being warned to get off their old boxes at the beginning of the year. There's no guarantees that even once that is done that Virgin update their streams. Maybe they need to pay sky more to change the inbound feed

@crypticc wrote:
Looks like upscaled 720 HD/576 SD to me most of the time. It may say 1080 on the tin but I promise you it's not native 1080.

BBC is better than sky and scifi natgeo, Dave etc which look shocking, even for modern recordings. On that link you can see why. (Some descriptions haven't been updated for the channels) bbc use constant bitrate 16 whereas sky uses vbr as low as 2.

Sky channels are sometimes better from the non hd channel and letting the TV scale... SD compressed well is better than HD that's had most of the pixels thrown away to fit in their mpeg2 streams.
Virgin were supposed to have gotten off mpeg2 but I've seen threads of people being warned to get off their old boxes at the beginning of the year. There's no guarantees that even once that is done that Virgin update their streams. Maybe they need to pay sky more to change the inbound feed

Broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i, not 720p.

Why are Virgin not fixing this?

It's a simple scaling and passthrough issue, 99% of people would want their TV to scale the SD/720 streams but the V6 box has to upscale 1st before sending it to the TV and the picture looks terrible.

Come on Virgin, how hard is this to fix?

@button_sw wrote:
Why are Virgin not fixing this?

It's a simple scaling and passthrough issue, 99% of people would want their TV to scale the SD/720 streams but the V6 box has to upscale 1st before sending it to the TV and the picture looks terrible.

Come on Virgin, how hard is this to fix?

...don't hold your breath - this bug has been present since 2016:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-scaling-bug/m-p/3251103#M149584

I give up i moved to Sky for tv,picture  great,soon as Sky get faster broad band i ditch Virgin altogether, great sexy box 2tb storage,get a grip Virgin.