cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

Ta will try that 😉

@studio_54 wrote:

@lempsky

when you go to 'settings' > 'video output' have you tried selecting only 2160 (pass through only)?    

Since I made that change, my 4K Panasonic displays video output as 3840 x 2160   and there is a considerable improvement in picture quality e.g. the TV is doing the up-scaling... (although alas it didn't fix the lip sync issue...)

If your TV is indicating that it's receiving an input signal at 3840 x 2160, which I assume is what you mean, then clearly the TV is NOT doing any scaling.

Your 4K TV will always display video "output" at 3840 x 2160, otherwise the picture wouldn't fill the screen. 😉

Perhaps you're right... certainly the picture quality is far better with the V6 video output set to 2180 pass through compared to 1080 passthrough...

Still no news of a fix?!

....sadly, I think VM have quietly brushed this one under the carpet, seeing that this bug was even reported as far back as 2011, here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Picture-Upscaling/td-p/361285

and more recently in 2016, here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-scaling-bug/m-p/3251103#M149584

Smiley Sad

@Rose_B wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have looked into this further and it's one of the issues being investigated.

Apologies for any inconvenience it's causing but hopefully this will be resolved in the next firmware update.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

...so can we PLEASE have an update if this issue was being looked into?

@anap wrote:

Still no news of a fix?!

VM has failed to fix the problem for years, so don't be optimistic.

You cannot get your TV to do all the scaling because the box, be it TiVo or V6, will always scale 576i to 1080i unless your video setting is only 576i - which would be ridiculous for most people. If you set to 1080i, the box will will scale 576i to 1080i and pass through 1080i. The best solutions for your TV to do most of the scaling are:

• If your TV is 1080p set to 1080i and 1080p 24/25/30fps (pass-through).
  • If your TV is 2160p set to 1080i and 1080p 24/25/30fps (pass-through) and 2160p 24/25/30fps (pass-through).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

For the V6 box, is it better to use 1080p or 1080i?

It depends on which does better scaling, the TV or V6. As set top boxes are never particularly good at scaling, try the TV first with the video setting in my last post. Then set the V6's video output to 1080p only so that it does all the scaling and compare the difference.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@deans6571 wrote:

@tonyworks wrote:

Hi, its true! The box does all the scaling (badly) to your lowest setting if all the resolution boxes are ticked. If you only tick the 1080 then all pictures are scaled to this resolution by your box, not your tv. If you tick all the resolutions then the box will downscale all to the lower resolution.

...exactly - so basically, there's no way for the TV to do the scaling because of the existing bug!

'Native' mode (by selecting all formats supported by the TV) should mean that content will be passed straight through to the TV without the V6 scaling so the tv will do the scaling, but it currently does not do this.

@ 

@Roger_Gooner wrote:
It depends on which does better scaling, the TV or V6. As set top boxes are never particularly good at scaling, try the TV first with the video setting in my last post. Then set the V6's video output to 1080p only so that it does all the scaling and compare the difference.

....but thats the whole point - the TV CANNOT do any scaling because of the bug.