cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Output Settings

anap
Up to speed

Please could someone tell me if the Video Output Settings have been corrected in the V6. i.e. Do they now work like they are described in the info screen or are they like the TiVo but with extra 2160 settings?

659 REPLIES 659

I have 3 V6 boxes. The suggestions won't get around the fact that the required functionality has been removed!

Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have looked into this further and it's one of the issues being investigated.

Apologies for any inconvenience it's causing but hopefully this will be resolved in the next firmware update.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

HI @Rose_B

You say that the issue raised in this post is "one of the issues being investigated".

Where can we find the current list of V6 issues being investigated?  It would be really helpful to VM customers to know that an issue has been acknowledged and may be fixed.  I'm sure it would also benefit VM customer services, and may reduce the number of calls from people complaining about the same rubbish service!

If it's not possible to provide such a list because VM doesn't want to acknowledge publicly the number of problems customers are dealing with, then please just say that so we know.  Otherwise, what can we do to get these issues resolved?  It's been long enough...

Cheers

Rose_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi studio_54,

Thanks for your query.

Unfortunately we do not provide customers with a list of issues being investigated.

Not everyone is being affected by these faults but as previously mentioned they are being investigated individually to ensure the correct resolution is provided.

The release of firmware updates usually resolve a number of issues and this is what our engineers are working towards.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@Rose_B wrote:

Hi studio_54,

Thanks for your query.

Unfortunately we do not provide customers with a list of issues being investigated.

Not everyone is being affected by these faults but as previously mentioned they are being investigated individually to ensure the correct resolution is provided.

Kind regards

...I have to say that, this,is not strictly correct. 

.......everyone IS being affected by these faults.  The difference is that, many of us aware of the issue (like the people who have posted in this thread), unlike the majority, who are not aware of the bug - they are still affected however.

If you pick 100% of all V6 units that are out in the wild in consumer's homes and go through the steps in this entire thread, you will see that every single unit will suffer from this fault (bug), and whilst many of these consumers may not be aware of the fault, you can't simply state that , "......Not everyone is being affected by these faults" - because everyone IS affected, some just don't know they are.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm sorry, @deans6571, but you are wrong. You simply can't say that everyone is affected.

I, for one, am not. Disproving your statement immediately.

All you can say is that some are affected. In no way can you quantify the number affected from the relatively small number of reports in this forum.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Ernie_C wrote:

I'm sorry, @deans6571, but you are wrong. You simply can't say that everyone is affected.

I, for one, am not. Disproving your statement immediately.

All you can say is that some are affected. In no way can you quantify the number affected from the relatively small number of reports in this forum.

...so you're saying that you are not affected by the bug as described here (2nd post down on page 3):

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Video-Output-Settings/td-p/3301147/page/3 (essentially - "Native" mode (ie selecting all) does not pass through straight, HD content  is scaled at 720p not 1080. As soon as 720p is ticked, this is the default resolution even if 1080 and 2160 are also ticked)

.....also here (1st page, 3rd post down, by @crypticc):

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Tivo-scaling-bug/m-p/3251103

As this is a bug of the current firmware, it's pretty safe to assume that it will affect 100% of users - how can it affect some but not others, if we're all on the same firmware...?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What you need to understand about any software is that not everyone is affected by a bug if your use of the software does not pass through the code with the bug in it.

Do I have 720p ticked? No. So I am not affected. My argument stands.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

@Ernie_C wrote:

What you need to understand about any software is that not everyone is affected by a bug if your use of the software does not pass through the code with the bug in it.

Do I have 720p ticked? No. So I am not affected. My argument stands.

...sorry but with all due respect, your argument falls flat on its face.

You need to have 720p ticked in order to see the bug.  You're saying that you're not affected because you don't have 720p ticked, however, the fact remains that your V6 DOES INDEED suffer from this bug and your machine is still affected, you are just not seeing it due to your setup.  And this is the case with everyone - all consumers will be affected as soon as they choose 720p in their setup - that's the point - it is 100% a bug (i.e. "Native"/"Hybrid" modes, simply do not work), which needs to be fixed.....

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

...and you're not understanding.

All software has bugs - TRUE. V6 has this bug - TRUE.

All V6 users suffer from this bug - FALSE.

Only those that tick 720p suffer from the (effects of) the bug.

Not everyone takes the same path through a piece of software. You only see the bugs that are 'active' down the path you take.

As a simple example, I, as a non-4K TV user, never go anywhere near any of the 4K coding in V6 so can never suffer any of the bugs in that part of the coding. I can't tick 2160 because my path is different than someone with a 4K TV.