cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 volume too low.

CDB1
On our wavelength

Is there a hidden volume control for the V6 box anywhere in the menus?  When I turn the tv from freeview to  Virgin I have to double the volume on the remote control as it's so quiet.  The old Tivo box was fine and we didn't have to touch it.

242 REPLIES 242

Thanks cotts73 🙂 

Hopefully someone can test this out and let us know.

Melissa

Overall, i think the V6 is just a very poor box, poor quality picture compared to the tivo, sound is poor too. When i watch a film through an app on my samsung, Disney+ or Amazon, the picture quality is night and day and i have to turn the sound up when i return to watch something on the V6. At first, i thought my samsung tv was to blame for the poor picture until i started watching films through the apps. Watching something on the V6 4K channel is really poor compared to Disney+ and Amazons 4K content

@Paulpalegan67 wrote:

Overall, i think the V6 is just a very poor box, poor quality picture compared to the tivo, sound is poor too. When i watch a film through an app on my samsung, Disney+ or Amazon, the picture quality is night and day and i have to turn the sound up when i return to watch something on the V6. At first, i thought my samsung tv was to blame for the poor picture until i started watching films through the apps. Watching something on the V6 4K channel is really poor compared to Disney+ and Amazons 4K content

...100% agree - thats why I gave up on all the V6 apps years ago and just use my smart tv instead (also a Samsung).

I disagree that the V6 is poor as the audio and video from mine are good (I'm referring to everything, i.e. linear, VOD and apps). Also I have a Fire TV stick and I've compared apps such as Prime Video, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, My5 and Pluto TV on the stick and V6 and can't tell the difference. If your V6 delivers poor audio and/or video there is a fault either with the box or the network.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

The majority of posts in this thread complain about about the sound quality of the V6 box are you suggesting they are wrong?

Prime video via a fire stick on the same TV as the V6 box is by far better in my case.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The forum posts are not indicative of the majority of most Virgin customers.  Very few post unless they have a query or problem.  

The figures for the first quarter this year show Virgin have 3,621,800 Video / TV customers. So looking at the few complaints regarding the sound it appears that the majority are happy with the audio quality/volume.

Yes, the volume is low compared to the loudness of Firesticks and the like. That's why we have volume control buttons.

The volume is probably built into the spec of the device. If the specs were changed there would probably be an influx of customers saying it's too loud.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

The higher I have to turn the volume so that I can hear what is being said the more the sound is distorted in which case it makes the whole exorcise self defeating.

bigmaluk1
Tuning in

I used to repair TV and electronic type equipment. Firstly the average person I used to talk to had know idea what was good sound or picture. So most people would not complain about the V6. Secondly I’ve been on this site for some time, there are people that the V6 works for in one way or the other. Also in electronic circles it’s known the V6 gain is to low for some reason. So just saying everybody’s wrong cause my box is ok is like saying my Volkswagen never had problems with emission when we all now know why that happened.

RE: newapollo: Not sure if I agree with your logic on this. There have been 24 pages of messages on this thread alone indicating a volume issue, and this isn't the only thread in this community about this topic. 

There are probably many more people with the issue who have just not raised it on a community forum.

I posted about this issue on this thread many months ago. It still seems that nothing has changed or is likely to. 

For VirginMedia box I had to have my TV audio up to around 80%+ of it's capability, in order for it to be at a regular audio level when 20% was fine to hear at normal levels for Chromecast and Firestick. And as others noted, it then starts to distort. 

There is a fix I found that works for me but it's costly. I resorted to installing a soundbar. Audio levels now all seem to work OK - shouldn't have to do this.

Maybe Virgin Could Send Us All A Soundbar To Sort This Problem Out.