cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 volume too low.

CDB1
On our wavelength

Is there a hidden volume control for the V6 box anywhere in the menus?  When I turn the tv from freeview to  Virgin I have to double the volume on the remote control as it's so quiet.  The old Tivo box was fine and we didn't have to touch it.

242 REPLIES 242

21-again
On our wavelength

"Sean, without watching the vid, I have no doubt that you have this issue. The point is that you are one of a small % of VM's >5m subscribers who do. After all, there are only 167 messages on this thread - many are repeat "posters" - so only say <100 customers who are complaining on here. Although this is obviously just a "sample" I would expect a similar small number of complaints being expressed via the other routes (some from the same customers!).
So the VM Marketing Dep. will have weighed up the cost/benefit of trying to fix it and probably concluded that they should leave it until the next "new Hub" appears and/or Horizon software appears on the V6.
Unless of course a team is currently investigating it and a fix appears at some point soon - but they will "never" admit that is happening."

You do seem to know an awful lot about this or as I suspect you are just writing a load of BS, saying there are only 167 messages in this post is a load of rubbish I don;t suppose the vast majority of VM customers even know this forum exists. From my experience the V6 box is flawed and at times is not fit for purpose.

I'm sorry, but the number of people complaining is not representative of how large (or small) the problem is.  As has been mentioned lots of people probably don't know about the forums, and others (like myself) are probably just putting up with it.

If there is evidence that the problem is only affecting very small percentage of people, then I'd be keen to see it.  One poster stating that they've experienced the reverse of what others are posting is not evidence that the problem is small scale.

My TV set up is very standard (Samsung TV and V6 box connected by HDMI) - I suspect lots of others have this similar set up.

Any kind of meaningful update from VM would be appreciated.

djb212
On our wavelength

Well done Jasaman, I cannot understand why people who are NOT using a standard set-up and do NOT have a problem are bothering to post on here.

All those users with a Denon, surround sound, multi-amp, multi speaker set-up who do NOT have a problem with sound go and start your own discussion and slap yourself on the back for having a home cinema. The rest of us using the built in speakers on the TV are the ones with the audio problem.

I have a recording studio and I could amp away to my heart's content, install Genelecs, Yamaha NS10s or Adam active speakers to compensate but I don't want to.

I want the same, clear, uncompressed, audio that I hear on Freeview - HEAR THAT VIRGIN FREE VIEW - IT COSTS NOTHING, IT SOUNDS BETTER AND IT IS 30% LOUDER

djb212
On our wavelength

Sean_E Spot on, that is exactly the issue going to copy the link to [Removed] at Virign Customer Service [removed]

Anyone else want to join me?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

djb212
On our wavelength
WATCH THE VID THEN COMMENT

Djb212

I have mine set up with a optical digital cable through a Canton DM75 sound base, and I've been in this forum for a while. The issues I have are poor volume levels through the V6 box. Not sure this would be classed as a standard setup. Virginmedia need to get this sorted regardless of how many it affects or the type of setup we are all using.

TeamFloyd, similar setup here, optical output to a Cyrus pre-amp and four power amps.

V6 optical output to Cyrus pre-amp, very poor quality and low volume.

V6 to TV via HDMI, TV optical out to Cyrus pre-amp perfectly acceptable quality and volume.

The 100% repeatable issue is the output level on the optical out port, it is set too low. 

Oh, so the MOD's are watching this thread then!!! Say no more.

djb212
On our wavelength

Well I email the head of customer service and sent the link to the video showing the difference in volume between Freeview and the V6.

A very nice lady called me back, I explained the problem and this seemed like news to them.

Basically no point in sending an engineer and there is nothing they can do until the next hardware upgrade.

My complaint is now closed but thecompl;aint has been noted.

There you go.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@djb212 wrote:

Well done Jasaman, I cannot understand why people who are NOT using a standard set-up and do NOT have a problem are bothering to post on here.

To point out it affects a minority - and to add some fuel  Smiley Happy

@djb212 wrote:

All those users with a Denon, surround sound, multi-amp, multi speaker set-up who do NOT have a problem with sound go and start your own discussion and slap yourself on the back for having a home cinema. The rest of us using the built in speakers on the TV are the ones with the audio problem.

Thats me Smiley Happy     What I neglected to say is that I have 3 V6 boxes.  The other two are connected to an old Panny and a new Sammy (not 4K or UHD - both bog standard).  Both TV's have NO - I say again NO - additional audio kit they both use their inbuilt TV speakers.  I have just tested them yet again and both give absolutely the identical volume levels on BBC1HD and Dave when toggling through the V6 or their inbuilt Freeview tuners.  No I havent done a video and dont feel the need to start any new threads.  So i will leave it there and hope the new hardware and horizon software solves the problem for those who have it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.