cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 volume too low.

CDB1
On our wavelength

Is there a hidden volume control for the V6 box anywhere in the menus?  When I turn the tv from freeview to  Virgin I have to double the volume on the remote control as it's so quiet.  The old Tivo box was fine and we didn't have to touch it.

242 REPLIES 242

If anyone has found a good/reliable alternative provider for broadband and TV, can they please share the details?

Thanks in advance

I join you with this request Jasaman. the only good thing about Virgin is it's broadband, the customer service is an absolute disgrace edging on non-existent.

16 pages and almost two and a half years and still no response from Virgin.
The other companies like BT are fast catching up on bb so beware Virgin, your time has past.

21-again
On our wavelength

Yep 6 pages and nearly two and a half years, I don't think this problem will EVER be resolved because if it was it would surely have be done by now. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@eggle48 wrote:
If anyone has any doubt of the inferior sound level carry out this quick test.
Select BBC1 on the V6 box and listen. Then select TV on the source button (instead of HDMI input) on your TV remote and stand by to turn the sound down by at least 30%.
In a nutshell THAT IS THE PROBLEM - GET IT SORTED

Just passing through this thread and so I tried this "test".  The volume on BBC1HD Freeview on my Panny TV with a Denon soundbox, was actually lower than that when flicking back to the V6 signal !

I think there is the rub.  The low volume issue as described on here is probably affecting a relatively small number (%) of VM's TV subscribers and so with any "fix" being potentially difficult and expensive to implement, the VM Marketing Department (who, as we know, hold all of the Top Trumps) have just told the technicians to ignore it as its a minor "glitch"  and not worth spending money to fix.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

....and so with any "fix" being potentially difficult and expensive to implement.... 

Cost has nothing whatsoever to do with it even if it cost £billions, when you run a business, especially one like this, customers come first.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Bengie wrote:

....and so with any "fix" being potentially difficult and expensive to implement.... 

Cost has nothing whatsoever to do with it even if it cost £billions, when you run a business, especially one like this, customers come first.

Actually if you knew anything about big business you would know that its the shareholders that come first.  They would not be pleased to discover their management had spent £billions of their money (share dividend) on something relatively minor, that affects < 0.1% of customers, that could have been avoided by advising these customers to press their remote's volume button 5 times.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Turning the volume up doesn't help, the background noise also increases so the sound quality is exceptionally poor.

Sean_E
On our wavelength

Here's a quick video example of the issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8ss6tiTRUs&feature=youtu.be

I start on the V6 BBC1 then switch to Freeview BBC1. Notice the difference in volume and clarity?

Then i switch to ITV1 Freeview then ITV V6. Again, lower volume on the V6 and it sounds a bit muddy and compressed.

I can't test the HD channels as this TV doesn't have them.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Sean, without watching the vid, I have no doubt that you have this issue. The point is that you are one of a small % of VM's >5m subscribers who do. After all, there are only 167 messages on this thread - many are repeat "posters" - so only say <100 customers who are complaining on here. Although this is obviously just a "sample" I would expect a similar small number of complaints being expressed via the other routes (some from the same customers!).
So the VM Marketing Dep. will have weighed up the cost/benefit of trying to fix it and probably concluded that they should leave it until the next "new Hub" appears and/or Horizon software appears on the V6.
Unless of course a team is currently investigating it and a fix appears at some point soon - but they will "never" admit that is happening.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Sean_E
On our wavelength
I've never seen/heard anyone demonstrate the issue. So i thought I might as well just make a quick video to show people we're not complaining about nothing.

It might help a bit, if not, it's worth a shot 🙂