cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 volume too low.

CDB1
On our wavelength

Is there a hidden volume control for the V6 box anywhere in the menus?  When I turn the tv from freeview to  Virgin I have to double the volume on the remote control as it's so quiet.  The old Tivo box was fine and we didn't have to touch it.

242 REPLIES 242

@ModTeam wrote:

Thanks for the points and details you’ve all raised regarding this issue.

We've collected all the information provided and passed to our product team who will investigate the cause and work on a fix.

Due to the complex nature of this issue we don’t currently have an estimated fix time however, we’ll ensure the thread is updated with any new information we receive.

Community Moderator Team 

Just get an LG TV! From a number of posts it seems most LG TVs are affected like mine is (and others).

My LG OLED55C6V is affected. Fine on previous TIVO and anything else. PCM/Dolby Digital makes no difference, the volume has to be 30+ to replicate what I'd normally have as 10 for anything else! Not difficult to reproduce.

New v6 box, surprise, surprise... low volume. After 30+ mins on phone I got past initial person attempting to offer 'help' and spoke to a UK based operative who, unlike his colleague, was fully aware of this issue, albeit he confirmed that nothing was being done by Virgin as the volume difference required for most was just a few notches higher:- ie if listening volume for freeview/old Tivo was, say, vol 20, then v6 would need to be (to Virgin an acceptable) vol 25-30 at most. However, for instances such as mine, where the differential was greater, an engineer is being sent (hopefully with a replacement box on board).

@cdorling wrote:

New v6 box, surprise, surprise... low volume. After 30+ mins on phone I got past initial person attempting to offer 'help' and spoke to a UK based operative who, unlike his colleague, was fully aware of this issue, albeit he confirmed that nothing was being done by Virgin as the volume difference required for most was just a few notches higher:- ie if listening volume for freeview/old Tivo was, say, vol 20, then v6 would need to be (to Virgin an acceptable) vol 25-30 at most. However, for instances such as mine, where the differential was greater, an engineer is being sent (hopefully with a replacement box on board).

Hi,

Wil be interesting to know what they do or if new box solves the issue.

Mine seems to be getting worse, was watching a program this afternoon on BBC one HD at volume 59 (plenty loud enough) then watched something recorded from 4 HD, had to increase volume to 71... This is through my Canton sound base, connected via digital optical cable. 

Please keep us updated.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Out of interest, if you disconnect all your sound equipment and just use the TV's inbuilt speakers, how do the volume levels given out on the V6 compare then, to say, the same channel on the tv's freeview - or some other programme on an App?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:
Out of interest, if you disconnect all your sound equipment and just use the TV's inbuilt speakers, how do the volume levels given out on the V6 compare then, to say, the same channel on the tv's freeview - or some other programme on an App?

I'll do a bit of experimenting later

@teamfloyduk wrote:

@jbrennand wrote:

I'll do a bit of experimenting later

Right so just had a bit of a play with volumes, unfortunately it seems same results without using the sound equipment connected. 

Just a side question why doesn't the volume control work on the V6 remote🤔?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try this... you need to Pair" your remote.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Help/Programming-your-TiVo-remote-control/td-p/3166540

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Volume decrease was acceptable to engineer, so I have to like it or lump it. I just use TV speakers, volume for Freeview a fair bit quieter. Doesn't quite distort, unless I forget to change vol level on switching to dvd/Freeview 😉

@teamfloyduk wrote:

@cdorling wrote:

Hi,

Wil be interesting to know what they do or if new box solves the issue.

Mine seems to be getting worse, was watching a program this afternoon on BBC one HD at volume 59 (plenty loud enough) then watched something recorded from 4 HD, had to increase volume to 71... This is through my Canton sound base, connected via digital optical cable. 

Please keep us updated.

Not sure how they can find it acceptable!

emmylou1985
On our wavelength

I ‘upgraded’ from a TiVo to a V6 box on Monday. I used to watch tv on sound level 30-40 and now I’m watching them on 50-60. There’s definitely a problem. I came on here to see if anyone else had a problem and a fix. When I listen to the radio, I have to turn it down to about 20.