cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 volume too low.

CDB1
On our wavelength

Is there a hidden volume control for the V6 box anywhere in the menus?  When I turn the tv from freeview to  Virgin I have to double the volume on the remote control as it's so quiet.  The old Tivo box was fine and we didn't have to touch it.

242 REPLIES 242

I would have thought having the volume at fifty five was part of the problem. I used freeview today what a difference crystal clear audio not muffled like the v6 box.

@djb212 wrote:

It seems very strange that BBC 2, BBC4, and Channel 4 seems to have doubled in volume in the last few weeks but the queitest by far is BBC1.

Surely there is a default to set volume output to Normalise, 0db?

This is the case on every audio software progam.

This has been going on long enough. My old TIVO sounds great in my son's room and we have identical Sony TVs.

I detect little or no difference in volume for the HD channels of BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV and C4. I've checked using my Onkyo AVR and with the Onkyo in HDMI pass-through mode (Onkyo in standby with audio just passing through it). I've got V6 --> Onkyo --> Panny plasma TV, all connected with HDMI. I can't help wondering if some people have faulty V6s.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

They're all 'faulty', the pre-out volume is set too low and it can't be adjusted.

Please don't sidetrack this thread, it is hard enough getting Virgin to address it as it is.

A faulty box should be replaced with one which works - like what most customers have.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

For the record, my V6 box is plugged straight into my Sony TV via the HDMI cable. I do have a sound bar but that is not used on a daily basis and that is fed from the Sony optical out. Thereare no additional amplifiers or sub systems causing confusion here, it is only the V6 output which is lacking.

My normal Sony TV output volume setting has changed from 20 on the Tivo to 30 - 35 on the V6.for the same audible level.

What next?

I suggest we flood Virgin's Facebook and Twitter pages.

@Rbrookbanks wrote:

They're all 'faulty', the pre-out volume is set too low and it can't be adjusted.

Please don't sidetrack this thread, it is hard enough getting Virgin to address it as it is.

It does seem to be an incompatibility/issue/problem/fault that is only apparent on some setups though, not all. 

I have two V6s, one is connected to a 1-year-old LG TV via HDMI with the TV outputting via optical to a 5-year-old LG Soundbar - this has a consistent sound output for all channels & devices (V6, PS4, Blu Ray, Freeview, TV Apps, Amazon Fire Stick), with all of them being used at a volume level around 12 (I think the soundbar goes up to 100, but I've never got near that!)

Upstairs I have a V6 into an 7-year-old LG TV via HDMI with just the TV's speakers being used - again the volume output is consistent across all channels, apps, you tube, Amazon Stick, etc.  That TV is on a volume setting of about 10 (out of 100) and used to have an old TiVo attached to it at exactly the same volume settings.

To investigate this VM surely need to get a setup that suffers with the low/varying volume and a setup that doesn't and see what the differences are - because any fix they might apply needs to make sure it doesn't mess up those setups that are currently OK!

Keith

av-115
Problem sorter

I have mine through an AVR and have increased the source level by 7dB to get it in line with other sources. That is my workaround to the problem. Plugged straight into the TV I could have the volume set at 100 quite comfortably, with my V+ anything above 60 - 65 is way too loud. So the people most affected are those who have no way of compensating for the reduced output.

The problem we've got is that I can't honestly see Virgin doing anything about it. I remember some of the Sky+ boxes were very quiet and nothing was ever done about them.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited

If I've read it correctly in your setup you're taking the output from the TV, not the optical outputs.

Connect an optical output directly to an amp and check the differing volume level when you switch inputs. That difference is present consistently across all V6 boxes.

Yup, mine's connected to a Cyrus AV preamp and you can't adjust the source levels. I have to turn the volume up to far when using the optical outputs that I can hear a buzzing in the background.

Get Worse Now And Still Nothing.