cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 turning on by itself (Quick Question!).

gregywils
Superfast

I have been having the same problem since early November 2020. Three boxes and four Engineer visits later and it's still happening. The Engineers have confirmed that this should not happen but have no idea what to do to stop it. They have also said that any updates should not cause the box to turn on. Waking up to talking from the front room, in the middle of the night is not ideal!

This is a recognised issue but Virgin have no solution for it.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

12:15, 17th March 2021 - V6 box turned itself on. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

The TV is off and no one is in the room.

It is a fault as two Engineers and their Area Manager have agreed it should not happen. A third, supposedly higher ranking Engineer is visiting today. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most software updates will require a box reboot - this effectively brings the V6 out of standby and into an "on" state.

Once on, the power saving settings take over, meaning a 4hour period before standby takes over again.

Having been caught out by this once, the moral of the story is to switch off your A/V kit overnight.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Both Engineers and their Area Manager agreed that a V6 should not start up on its own like this.

I imagine that having all the Virgin V6 boxes do this in the night might cause a lot more consternation to users than is currently apparent.

The Virgin staff suggested that there is an update that keeps failing for unknown reasons.

We have another Engineer visiting tomorrow which implies that this situation is far from normal.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Perhaps there's some misunderstanding somewhere then.

Software drops being done overnight, and boxes consequently rebooting out of standby, is perfectly normal behaviour. Any engineer visits to investigate such reports are likely to be a waste of everyone's time.

If yours is doing this every night or more than a couple of times a week, then perhaps you may have an issue. Code drops that cause this, tend to come in bursts and "do the rounds" of different regions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

20:15, 16th March 2021 - V6 box turned itself on. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did the box restart just before? Either the onscreen "starting up" or the LED indicator doing an impression of a christmas tree.

If yes... then it's likely you have an issue of "random" reboots which is probably a fault.

If no... I wonder if you've got some RF interference. The V6 remote works by Bluetooth, and it's not entirely unheard of (but rare) for the box to register an "unknown" button press.

In either case, this now sounds different to the scenario of an overnight software update.

12:15, 17th March 2021 - V6 box turned itself on. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did the box restart just before? Either the onscreen "starting up" or the LED indicator doing the cycle of colours.

If yes... then it's likely you have an issue of "random" reboots which is probably a fault.

If no... I wonder if you've got some RF interference. The V6 remote works by Bluetooth, and it's not entirely unheard of (but rare) for the box to register an "unknown" button press.

The TV is off and no one is in the room.

It is a fault as two Engineers and their Area Manager have agreed it should not happen. A third, supposedly higher ranking Engineer is visiting today. 

The Engineer has no idea what is causing the problem, despite trying many things.