Menu
paulborrett
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

V6 signal strength issues on some channels

Hi, we have 2 V6 boxes.  One with a very short cable run from the outside termination point (5 metres), the other probably around 20 metres.   

We've been experiencing issues for a little while on certain channels via the further box.  BBC News HD (604), Sky F1 HD (506), and BT Sports 1 HD (527), plus a few others.  Signal strength on the channels is in the 72-75% range - with BBC News HD sometimes dropping out completely.   SNR for these channels ranges fro 28-30dB.    Other channels are typically fine with few dropouts - BBC2 for example is currently showing at 89% signal strength, 35 dB SNR.

On the closer box the signal levels are maybe 4-5% higher, and the SNR numbers maybe 1-2 dB higher also.

This doesn't feel right to me, and I wonder if it can be (a) checked remotely, and (b) something done about it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 signal strength issues on some channels

Your signal levels need adjusting by an engineer. The forum team can arrange this but they can sometimes take a while to respond. For a quicker resolution, ring 150 or 0345 454 1111 and report the fault.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

HI paulborrett

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with your TV service recently. 

I've been able to locate your account to take a closer look at this from our end and I'd like to arrange for someone to come and take a closer look, if you're available? 

I'll send you information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
paulborrett
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Craig, not sure if you're still around or there is another similarly helpful Virgin moderator, but unfortunately 6 months after an engineer visiting to resolve the issue the problem has returned and is now affecting both boxes.

When the engineer visiting in October 2018 he fitted a Virgin signal booster at the junction box where the main cable comes into the property.  This succeeded in giving a strong signal to both boxes - certainly good enough to get a strong signal on all of the main HD channels which were mostly the issue before.

Unfortunately over the last few weeks we've been noticing a picture break-up again across a range of HD channels, and what has now also been confirmed is that it's affecting both boxes - whereas last time the one with the shortest signal run wasn't really affected.   This afternoon for example channel 531 has signal strength of 69% on both V6 boxes.

To be this suggests the issue is with the strength/quality of the signal arriving at the property, but I guess it's going to require another home visit?

Paul

0 Kudos
Ftwizard
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul, can you tell me how you check the signal strength of a specific channel, as I'm having very similar problems to yourself.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If the signal isn't strong enough the best solution is (if possible) to move your cable to a better position in the street cabinet's tap bank.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
paulborrett
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Ftwizard wrote:
Hi Paul, can you tell me how you check the signal strength of a specific channel, as I'm having very similar problems to yourself.

Cheers.

Sure, from the main menu on the box go to : Help & Settings, System Info, Diagnostics.   You can then use the down arrow to scroll through each of the tuners 0-5 and see the signal strength.   The box will 'remember' recent tuners, or ones that are being used to record currently, plus the current tuner for the main output of the box.   

Hope that helps, Paul

paulborrett
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

If the signal isn't strong enough the best solution is (if possible) to move your cable to a better position in the street cabinet's tap bank.

Thanks, hopefully Virgin can confirm that's an option for me.  The fact that the signal strength is now down on both boxes points towards a different issue compared to last time when I was seeing 8-10% difference regularly between my two v6 boxes.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What's important is to be informed. When the engineer arrives, insist on getting your signal corrected at the cabinet instead of a booster in your home.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
paulborrett
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

What's important is to be informed. When the engineer arrives, insist on getting your signal corrected at the cabinet instead of a booster in your home.

Thanks Roger, that's good advice.  Last time the booster did the job on the 2nd box, although the overall signals still were around 80-82% on some channels.  I think the engineer indicated it wasn't possible to increase the signal levels - at that time - from the cabinet.  Is it possible the cabinet might be overloaded / oversubscribed (apologies if this isn't the correct terminology), and if so, what else can be done?

Paul

0 Kudos