cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 pin

robt123
Joining in

I have turned off "pin required" but the box still asks for a pin for all sorts of programmes. I have seen many answers that blame Ofcom & Sky for this, I don't have Sky Cinema, today I wanted to watch DC's Legends of Tomorrow which was broadcast at 20:00 and the stupid box still wanted a pin. You may question my viewing choices but I'd like to get rid of the pin requirement.

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@robt123 wrote:

I have turned off "pin required" but the box still asks for a pin for all sorts of programmes. I have seen many answers that blame Ofcom & Sky for this, [snip] but I'd like to get rid of the pin requirement.

Your complaint should be directed at Ofcom, it is they who require the broadcasters (Sky) to use this PIN for age-protected content, and the platform-providers (Virgin Media) to enforce it.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The programme I was trying to watch was originally broadcast at 8pm, well before any watershed. So there should be nothing that is age protected, the programme is almost a cartoon so I don't accept it's an Ofcom issue, more likely another Virgin screw up.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What is the specific programme, series & episode number that you are having to enter the PIN for? The PIN requirement is driven by the content & rating, not the time of broadcast.

Presumably the programme is fine, apart from having to enter the 4-digit PIN?

Edited to add that a cursory search of Sky's forums reveals similar complaints, hence my previous comment about this being independent of your platform provider.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From Sky's own community forums

/Is-there-any-way-I-can-turn-this-damn-parental-control-off 

also https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/PIN-Protection 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Don’t you just love those who blame Virgin Media when it is ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with Virgin Media?

reminds me of that famous not the nine oclock news sketch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QZprRgxDc

Firstly, no thanks for all the sarcastic comments from all you people boasting about your expertise, get off your ego trips.

Second, Virgin holds some responsibility as I have trawled all over their site looking for the information about Sky programmes and Ofcom, nothing.

Third, Virgin's website is full of broken links and links that send you off to the wrong page, one example, I clicked on a link for TV help and it took me to the broadband page.

Hi robt123,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear you aren't happy that when you go onto Sky Sports, which channel was it you try to watch when being asked, what rating it? I have tried to replicate this and didn't get the same issue.

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul, did you try reading my original post first of all? I was very clear the programme I was trying to watch was DC's Legends of Tomorrow. One of the answers sent me to a Sky page which answered the question. My irritation was that nowhere that I could find on the Virgin website stated the Ofcom intervention in all of this. I also pointed out that it is very common to find find broken links on the Virgin website which does help in trying to find answers. Rob.