cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 picture issues across all services

krustydad
On our wavelength

We have 3 V6's, 1 an early model, 1 more recent, and 1 installed today.

The first has been pixilating on and off on all services including streaming services like Netflix which surprised me.

The 2nd has issues on live TV, but when I rewind it and play it back it doesn't repeat the pixalation, this really surprised me as I figured the likely issue was the stream or the HDD, but this seems to have proved it's neither of those. It was also program dependant, as I was watching the F1 and it was occasional through the race, but awful through the adverts (not that I cared about the ads of course).

The 2 original V6's are connected via ethernet, so I would exclude WiFi as an issue.

So I'm confused. What's the likely issue? Is there a upscale chip that can start to break? I watched 2 hrs of Sky 4K on-demand movie without an issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the address as requested via PM.

I have booked the first available engineer appointment for you so this can be checked over for you. 

You can find confirmation of the time and date via your online account. If this is not suitable, feel free to re-schedule. 

Let us know how the visit goes. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@krustydad wrote:

We have 3 V6's, 1 an early model, 1 more recent, and 1 installed today.

Just to clarify - when you say "an early model", do you mean a TiVo? Or just 3 x V6? Check here if you want to make sure.

Also...

@krustydad wrote:

The 2 original V6's are connected via ethernet, so I would exclude WiFi as an issue.

Live TV is carried over the co-ax connection and has nothing to do with the internet. The wired/wireless 'net connection is what carries VoD & streaming.

On the rest... if live TV is pixellating & breaking up, the resultant recording will be as well. The only possibility if you're not seeing this, is that you happen to have 2 separate tuners on the same channel - one tuner is suffering (and this what you're watching "live"), while the other is ok (and this is what you're recording from). You can check what channels your tuners are on, by pressing "info" and scrolling to the bottom panel.

I've experienced picture breakup on some Sky broadcasts when the programme is going into and out of adverts/sponsor-stings. I've seen this on Sky Nature HD & Sky Sports F1 HD. Given the consistent pattern of this, and that it doesn't happen during any programming - tells me this is a broadcast issue at Sky's end and nothing to do with Virgin Media.

Pixellation is usually a reflection of poor signal quality with the TV feed I would be very interested to see a video of apparent pixellation on any streaming service - these use the internet, which would exhibit slow speeds as buffering or stuttering.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @krustydad

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with pixilation. I have taken a look at your account and can see some errors so I will need to book an engineer out to get things checked over for you. 

Will pop you a PM now so I can get the address confirmed and the visit arranged 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming the address as requested via PM.

I have booked the first available engineer appointment for you so this can be checked over for you. 

You can find confirmation of the time and date via your online account. If this is not suitable, feel free to re-schedule. 

Let us know how the visit goes. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

all resolved.
I think the new V6 has bad hard drive - it took forever just to change channel, and would frequently reboot.
It took 2 weeks to get a replacement that I'll never see back the charges for, but thanks for responding and arranging the visit.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ideally this would be a new thread now, but....

Hard drive issues would often manifest themselves as problems with all recorded content while live TV is fine. That said, a rebooting box isn't a healthy box.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

krustydad
On our wavelength

It certainly was strange, but you could hear a constant click click click like a drive failing to seek. I'm in IT, I know the sound very well.

As it was taking  long time to load etc, perhaps it was a power regulation board or system board issue, causing disk and system iinstability issues. 

Anyhoooo doesn't matter, it got replaced