cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 no longer pin sharp

wolvesmad
On our wavelength

approx 2-3 weeks ago an engineer knocked on the door saying there was a fault in the area and all the data was pointing towards a problem in our house.

He checked the signal levels and showed there was interference between where then wire came into then house and the V6 box. he replaced this cable (thinner than previous one).

Since that day though HD is acceptable it is not as good as before - though if I watch prime ornnetflix it is pin sharp.

I have changed the settings and ticked the all the outputs in settings but no change

Would it be possible for admin to check my signal levels to see if they need to be boosted 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The coaxial cable is either RG6 or the thinner RG59. In a typical home the length of the cabling does not make the disadvantage of RG59 (greater attenuation) a problem. As streamed videos are "pin sharp" I see no obvious problem with the cable itself.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you swapped your HDMI lead and/or TV port to rule that out?

Are there any specific channels you think are poor?

I wouldn't recommend having all the outputs enabled in your video settings - 1080p and (if you have a UHD TV) 2160 are probably the 2 that you need. Giving the box the option of outputting a lower resolution does run the risk of it doing just that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wolvesmad
On our wavelength

thanks for the reply . have already tried what you said (lead etc...)

Netflix and prime through V6 are excellent  in full HD , every other channel whilst watchable are not as clear as before the replacement wire was put in

You can get your TV to do the upscaling instead of the V6 by having the video output settings as follows:

• 2160p
  • 2160p pass through
  • 1080p pass through
  • 1080i
  • 576i
--

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

You can get your TV to do the upscaling instead of the V6 by having the video output settings as follows:

• 2160p
  • 2160p pass through
  • 1080p pass through
  • 1080i
  • 576i

...oh no, don't start with the tv settings saga again - the last thread ran for more than 40 pages!!!!!

😁😉

thanks for replies. 

have done the settings, checking wires options etc...

the problem started after a new connection was put in....that wire is thinner than the previous wire....has to be that, too much of a coincidence. 

can't get though on the phone to customer services so was hoping that one of the team from here could check my signal levels 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Something doesn't sound quite right here....

@wolvesmad wrote:

the problem started after a new connection was put in....that wire is thinner than the previous wire....has to be that, too much of a coincidence. 

Others are more familiar with the install side, but VM's co-ax cables are a standard size so I'm not sure what wire you're thinking is a different size?

Can you post a picture?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The coaxial cable is either RG6 or the thinner RG59. In a typical home the length of the cabling does not make the disadvantage of RG59 (greater attenuation) a problem. As streamed videos are "pin sharp" I see no obvious problem with the cable itself.

--

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @wolvesmad,

Thanks for your recent post and sorry to hear of the picture issues you're having with your TV services following this visit.

Are you able to confirm which cable exactly has been replaced? Are you also able to ensure that all connecting cables are secured 'finger-tight' to all the necessary ports? 

Let us know if you're still in need of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide