cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 keeps shutting off

aidy1972
On our wavelength

As title says, recently the tivo (6 I think, the 4k one) has started turning off.

Sometimes a standby cycle will bring it back on for a short time but more often than not,  I have to power off via rear switch leave it for a bit and back on. This doesn't guarantee a result. 

I've a feeling it could be heat related. First time it happened, during the Welcome Screen/Starting up period I was getting strange artifacts like a green wired grid for a brief moment. Given current climate here not an impossibility. 

Thought I'd get this in incase further assistance will be required down the line.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me.

I have booked this for you. for times, dates and to make any amendments to your appointment, you can visit your my Virgin Media account

Please do let me know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

18 REPLIES 18

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can check which box you have, on this page here 

Regardless of heat, if a box is switching itself off and/or rebooting, it has a fault. The tinted pictures you mention could also be an HDMI issue - have you proven your HDMI cable & TV port as good by using them with known working kit?

VM staff respond to posts on here after an extra day or so, otherwise fault reporting is on the usual number (150 from a VM phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone)

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

aidy1972
On our wavelength

It's the V6 I'll run a check on leads, etc. Although have no reason to think is them or the TV. TV is only a few months old.

I've got to get round to changing over current stand so now will be chance to do so. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

aidy1972
On our wavelength

Update.

It just occurred to me that I have a brand new hdmi that came with recent monitor purchase. I've swapped them out and at moment, I have tv services back.

However, before cable change, I run test on website and it detected box wasn't connected. The box was on at time of test and I swapped hdmi while still on.

Will see how it goes.

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Welcome back to the forums @aidy1972 

Thank you for your post.  

I have managed to locate your account from hear and can see that there is an issues, we are going to need to get an engineer out to you. 

I will pop you over a PM so that I can some account details.

Kind regards,

Zak_M

aidy1972
On our wavelength

Hi Zak.

Thanks for getting back, I rarely look at VM emails these days as it has become a spam hell!

I have an engineer coming today (25/7/21) apparently following a webchat via site. External box aside (see another post of mine) the cables in the house are very early installations back when NTL first offered "Broadband" (was silly low speeds back then!) Probably close to 20 years now! At time of install, my room had just been moved into so requested enough cable for multiple modem positions. 

Now established, there's a huge coil of cabling literally hanging off the back of modem and the cable has become worn at modem screw in. Often dropping drastically in speed, sometimes blackout. A bit of a wiggly can bring speeds back to expected.

I can't seem to find your message, so leaving this for you. Maybe others having similar troubles too.

Hi @aidy1972

Thanks for the update and I am glad to hear you have a Engineer coming today to look at the issue with the external brown box I'm assuming?

In regards to the fault with the V6 box, is this still ongoing?

Let us know.  

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

aidy1972
On our wavelength

Tivo seems to be fine now I have swapped the hdmi lead. Visit was SUPPOSED to be sorting out cables in the house and that box (currently propped closed with a large rock - not sure if someone here did that or someone from VM have been already, been told nothing about actual Visit purpose and not even called ahead or knocked door.

I'm going to assume a Visit has not actually been arranged for today. 1: given its a Sunday and 2, it's now 2hrs past time slot given.

VM will be getting a call from me tomorrow either way.

If late, courtesy call would be nice. If not coming, likewise. My faith in people is telling me it was a typo. My faith in VM is telling me it was a fob off to get a customer satisfaction rating up.

Anyway you could check if something is ACTUALLY booked? 

Thanks for explaining further and pleased the TV box is performing okay now after swapping the HDMI lead. 

I have just taken a peek at your account and can not see any open work order for a visit @aidy1972 nor any notes on your account regarding what you have just explained. 

How and when exactly were you advised this was going to be scheduled for today? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

aidy1972
On our wavelength

It was via the webchat on the VM website