cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 internet connection advice

mitch84
Fibre optic

Hi

I have had the V6 box for a while now and have always had it connected to internet with a network cable.

I have replaced my 3rd party router recently and the new one is a bit low on ethernet ports (amazon eero)

I was thinking about connecting v6 over wifi, but just wondering, what functions does the v6 box require over internet, do I even need an internet connection?

I don't stream from it as I have an apple tv box for that, anyone here have theirs connected over wifi, it it stable, if I don't stream from it so I guess wifi connection is ok for any light duties it requires for the internet. Saying that most of my devices are over wifi anyway and are fine.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ethernet is always recommended given a choice, but WiFi should be ok providing the wireless connection is stable enough.

A V6 uses the internet for OnDemand, streaming and various other updates. The TV Guide data is downloaded over the internet - which is the obvious thing you'd soon have problems with.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mitch84, 

Thanks for your post and enquiry surrounding the V6 needing an internet connection. 

As pointed out by japitts, there are a number of things on the V6 box that internet is needed for so the box will need to have a connection to your Hub however it is up to you if you would prefer to do that through an ethernet cable or through the WiFi. 

The best thing to do is connect it via WiFi, if you don't notice any issues then great. If you do and those issues are resolved when connecting the ethernet cable then it will need to be connected in that way. 

Keep us posted on how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs