cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 crashes

danoid
Joining in

It’s been happening more recently where I’m watching something on catch-up the video stops with an error message (can’t remember what it says now) but I have a flashing white light with a flashing red light.

The main white light remains on the entire time. When it crashes whilst watching something from catch-up it goes back to normal TV and I can change channel.

As it’s happening more frequently (not everyday) is there anything I can do or can I just get a new 360 box instead?

The fact it doesn’t do it everyday shows it’s nothing like lose cable or anything, but I have hard powered down the box and checked cables anyway

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This sounds potentially like your V6 is losing connection to your homehub and thus the internet, causing problems with OnDemand. Knowing the error message would certainly help, but is your V6 <--> hub connection Ethernet cabled or wireless?

If it's wireless, the next thing to check is the signal strength via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network.

Regardless of this, you mention converting to 360. That won't make a jot of difference to this fault - but you should be aware TiVo/V6 & 360 are substantially different. If you want to convert, then fine. But do so after researching researching pros & cons first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for the reply.

The box is hardwired and using the splitter cable which comes with it, so that shouldn’t be a problem at all.

When the problem happens again I’ll make a note of the error message if there is one.

I was hoping if it gets replaced to get a whole new box rather than just flash it with the horizon software, as there’s clearly an issue with the V6 if it momentarily drops connectivity again all other devices work (so not hub)

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@danoid wrote:

The box is hardwired and using the splitter cable which comes with it, so that shouldn’t be a problem at all.

When the problem happens again I’ll make a note of the error message if there is one.

The V6 has 2 connections - the "splitter cable" you're referring to is most likely the coax cable which carries your live TV channels. OnDemand uses the internet, and is fed from your homehub. The error code will give a strong clue as to what's the cause of your issues.

@danoid wrote:

I was hoping if it gets replaced to get a whole new box rather than just flash it with the horizon software, as there’s clearly an issue with the V6 if it momentarily drops connectivity again all other devices work (so not hub)

There is no issue with V6 software that causes this - otherwise this forum would be chock-full of complaints. If your V6 does have a fault, which is far from proven at this time, that can be dealt with. Many issues with both 360 & V6 are connectivity-related and easily resolve by some basic troubleshooting.

A change to V360 should not be undertaken without full knowledge of the various pros & cons of both platforms.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi danoid,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

Sorry to hear you're facing issues with your V6 box.

Firstly can I ask whether you are facing any issues with Live TV whatsoever?

Secondly would you be able to refresh the box's connection to the internet?

To do so please;

- Select the Home button from your V6 remote

- Then Help & Settings

- Then Settings 

- From there select Network

- Finally select "Connect to Virgin Media services now"

From there let us know if you are still facing the Catch Up issues and advise of the error code you are receiving.

Thanks,

Kain

Hello,

When watching live TV it’s fine, only when watching on catchup and not all the time.

I’ve used the refresh before from a previous issue but this isn’t resolving the issue permanently.

I don’t have a lot to watch on catch-up at the moment but it’s basically a “playback issue” and can happen straight away or anytime throughout the programme for example 30%

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Is this on recorded content also or is it just catch up to confirm? 

Cheers, 

Ryan. 

Just catch-up, which is why I think it’s software related or so

Thanks @danoid

The next time this happens, could you please note down the error message displayed and pop back to us here?

This will help us determine what exactly is causing this and if a box swap is required.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hello,

I had it again although not sure if it’s the error code I had last time but today it was C501