cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 boxes

linzijmitchell
Tuning in
  • We have a v6 box in main living room and 2 upstairs (one in each bedroom) also have a booster upstairs on the landing. Bedroom boxes keep stopping when watching TV programmes. We spoke to virgin a few months ago and they did the usual checks which improved it until this last 2 weeks. We also reboot the WiFi modem and boxes regularly.

Any other ideas because this happens quite often and it's really getting on my nerves.

12 REPLIES 12

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linzijmitchell wrote:
  • We have a v6 box in main living room and 2 upstairs (one in each bedroom) also have a booster upstairs on the landing. Bedroom boxes keep stopping when watching TV programmes. We spoke to virgin a few months ago and they did the usual checks which improved it until this last 2 weeks. We also reboot the WiFi modem and boxes regularly.

Are these live TV programmes? Recorded programmes? OnDemand programmes?

I ask because all 3 are handled differently. Live TV comes down the coax cable, recorded programmes come from the hard drive & OnDemand uses the internet - which you've mentioned is wireless in your home.

I've no idea what "the usual checks" are because you've not said, but the first thing I'd want to check is the wireless signal strength between your V6 and the homehub. You can do this via Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and looking in the top-right.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Thanks for your reply.

The usual checks are that virgin test the signal and then they test the boxes and both of these have been ok. They have also asked us to check the wireless signal strength but we will check it again now this issue has started again.

The programmes I was trying to watch are recorded on the hard drive.

If you watch a programme recorded on another V6 you can have problems if the boxes have a weak connection to the hub, which is often the case with WiFi.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi Thank you for your reply.

Yes we got a booster, infact thus is the 2nd one which was recommended to us by an IT expert,  to help with this issue but this may still be the issue but I can't keep buying boosters 

It cannot be said often enough that wired trumps wireless every time. It's best to run Ethernet cables to the bedrooms using the holes drilled for the coaxial cables.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@linzijmitchell wrote:

The programmes I was trying to watch are recorded on the hard drive.

If you're watching on the same box they were recorded, then there's no streaming involved - it's just the hard drive on the same box.

If you're trying to stream between boxes, then see whether VoD works on both. It's the same V6 <---> Hub connection being used for both functions.

On the basis that this is a multiroom streaming issue, what are the wireless signal strengths reported as? Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > look in the top-right.

Whilst roger is absolutely right to point out the weaknesses in wireless connectivity, I'm not convinced we're quite sure that's the issue yet. See my first two comments in this reply...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Yes I was trying to watch something recorded on the living room v6 and then watching it on the bedroom v6 box. I will get hubby to test as you suggested.

Hi linzijmitchell, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that you are having an issue with watching recordings on your V6 boxes. 

Did you have a chance to run through the checks suggested by our VIP japitts yet? If not, please do them and pop an update here. 

In the meantime, I've double checked your boxes directly and all is looking great with them. I've had a look at the Hub side of things too and the power levels are in the optimal range but are close to being outside this. 

If you can update us once you've run the further checks, we can go from there. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath

Thanks for the reply and checking the boxes.

I went to watch BBC iplayer on the v6 in my bedroom this afternoon and I got a message on the screen saying there was a problem. I did what VIP japitts suggested and it said it was 62% connection and so should be good but still would not let me use the bbc iplayer. I then decided to try my other v6 box and bbc iplayer worked fine