cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box with projector

Rando
Tuning in

I've seen a few posts about people trying to hook their V6 boxes up with projectors for home cinemas and there have been varying answers from "yes it's doable" to " V6 boxes are not currently compatible with projectors" 

Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? I'm looking to buy a projector soon but don't want to waste the money if the V6 isn't compatible. 

If anyone does currently have a V6/projector set up and has any suggestion of good projectors for outdoor (preferably in daytime) use please let me know

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi I have more than one friend who run a projector from a V6 box, why on earth do you want to use one outside in daylight, when it's well known that daylight is a projectors worst enemy. Regards Micky

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

One problem that you may have is the distance from the V6 to the projector, as the length of HDMI cable is limited, for example a 4K signal will not work beyond 10ft whereas lower signal can go at a max of 50ft with the max of 50ft you will need high quality cables which will come at a premium.

Have a look at https://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/hdmi-max-length/

I dud have a v6 and indoors worked well with the projector I had, now running a v360 and still no issues, just had to watch the HDMI cable length which was approx 15ft. One was of getting around the length issue would be to use a HDMI wireless send/receiver pair.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

clegsr
Dialled in

So the V6 box definitely does work with a Projector - and in fact the previous older Tivo box also worked with my Sony HD projector too.

I subsequently upgrade the HD projector to a 4K and both Tivo and the V6 also worked with it.

I would also say that the length of HDMI cable if you want to watch 4K will be an issue which was solved for my by using a fibre optic HDMI cable.

I used this Wyrestorm cable:https://www.richersounds.com/wyrestorm-active-optical-hdmi-15m.html 

I think you should to check the brightness of the projector and only go for a reputable make of projector as there is a lot of chatter about some of the cheaper no-name chinese projectors basically lying about how bright they are.

7 REPLIES 7

LittleMick73
Superstar
Hi I have more than one friend who run a projector from a V6 box, why on earth do you want to use one outside in daylight, when it's well known that daylight is a projectors worst enemy. Regards Micky

Anonymous
Not applicable
projectors can be used outside but you will be spending £10,000 for a entry level projector that will work sun light

Thanks for confirming that you know people who use a projector with a V6. Reason i want to use it outside is for sporting occasions so i can sit out with pals, have a bbq and a drink. I'm aiming to create a set up where there will be a tented roof which the projector and screen would sit under so wouldn't (or would less) be affected by the sun. I've looked at plenty of projectors that talk about lumins and claim to be able to work outside and do realise that you need a decent one to be able to make it happen but first thing was to confirm the V6 is compatible as someone else said they weren't. 

I'll let you know how i get on!!!

I know they can work outside - i needed to know if they work with a V6.

Don't think you need to spend that much! Done some research and definitely mid 3 figures but not 4

Thanks

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

One problem that you may have is the distance from the V6 to the projector, as the length of HDMI cable is limited, for example a 4K signal will not work beyond 10ft whereas lower signal can go at a max of 50ft with the max of 50ft you will need high quality cables which will come at a premium.

Have a look at https://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/hdmi-max-length/

I dud have a v6 and indoors worked well with the projector I had, now running a v360 and still no issues, just had to watch the HDMI cable length which was approx 15ft. One was of getting around the length issue would be to use a HDMI wireless send/receiver pair.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

clegsr
Dialled in

So the V6 box definitely does work with a Projector - and in fact the previous older Tivo box also worked with my Sony HD projector too.

I subsequently upgrade the HD projector to a 4K and both Tivo and the V6 also worked with it.

I would also say that the length of HDMI cable if you want to watch 4K will be an issue which was solved for my by using a fibre optic HDMI cable.

I used this Wyrestorm cable:https://www.richersounds.com/wyrestorm-active-optical-hdmi-15m.html 

I think you should to check the brightness of the projector and only go for a reputable make of projector as there is a lot of chatter about some of the cheaper no-name chinese projectors basically lying about how bright they are.

Thanks for the feedback. I may be upgrading to the V360 but someone else said that also works with a projector so all good.

Good advice re the projector quality. I've done some research and most of them suggest paying a bit more for quality rather than unknown brands promising the world and delivering really poor quality. 

Will look into the HDMI cables. Probably don't need much more than 3 or 4m but may be worth doing fibre optic anyway just to be sure.