Menu
MikeFHughes
Joining in
Message 31 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box sound dropouts driving me mad.

Hello all, has anyone got an update to this?

It's now annoying me. 

0 Kudos
IcedEarth_Dave
On our wavelength
Message 32 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hi I'd like to second that call for an update please from any Virgin reps that monitor this thread. 

I note that the issue has been given 2 reference numbers in this thread (NKE00009301 / NKE00009237 - not sure which one is the most relevant?) and a fix was being worked on - how can we find out progress on this? I saw that someone has said it could be the signal strength - how do I get this checked?

I also see that private contact was initiated with a complainant further up this thread regarding credit options and I'd like someone to contact me similarly as I feel this is a poor standard of service given the length of time this issue has persisted.

I am still experiencing sound drop outs, intermittently, when watching programmes with Dolby Digital sound. I have a really simple set-up (see below) - nothing complicated, and I am not experiencing any video defects, so that and the fact that I replaced my HDMI cable immediately with a new one and I have had no issues for several years with this set-up and my tivo equipment, suggests the issue is not related to my hardware interacting with the V6 box. The issue lies with the box and how the sound is being sent from it.

My set-up:

V6 box connected directly to my Samsung UE48JS8500 TV via a high speed HDMI cable (brand new replacement after issues began). The TV outputs audio via optical cable to my Sony HTAS5 5.1 surround system. The V6 box is set to output Dolby Digital as advised in the set up guide.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 33 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Run the optical cable from the V6 to the Sony and see if it makes a difference.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Dataforensics
Tuning in
Message 34 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Just to chime in.

Recently got 'upgraded' to V6 box.

Am also getting sound dropouts, mostly when powering up from standby.

HDMI from Tivo to Yamaha RX-V673 surround system. Its not the HDMI cables.

If Yamaha powered down HDMI is direct to TV and there is no sound dropout, but I do not want to put up with poor TV speakers.

Cycling the Tivo sound from Dolby/Dolby PCM and back tends to clear the problem, but it comes back next day.

0 Kudos
SJC24
Joining in
Message 35 of 65
Flag for a moderator

I also upgraded to V6 about 4 weeks ago from day one sound keeps distorting was told to try each HDI points problem still occurred. Engineer came out with a new box and a new HDI cable still have the same problems was told by the engineer it couldn’t possibly be the box must be my tv.

Really not happy as I  do not want to purchase a new tv when TiVo was working fine.

any help much appreciated, glad I’m not the only one with this problem 

0 Kudos
craigyb
Tuning in
Message 36 of 65
Flag for a moderator

I have recently been upgraded to a V6 box and a SuperHub 3 and I'm suffering from audio dropouts as well.

So getting a V6 box and SuperHub 3 so far have been very backwards steps for me.

1. The superhub 3 stopped me working form home because it block VPN access unless you completely disable the firewall and to get around this I had to buy a router with AC wifi to get a similar level of functionality as the super (not so) hub 3 and put the superhib 3 into modem mode.

2. Audi dropouts on the V6 box at random times. My box is in "Always on" mode. Connected to an Onkyo amp and then a Sony TV all on HDMI.

3. V6 box was dead today after 5 days of use, responded to channel changes, but no display of TV. Checked with VM, no faults logged, ran tests on my box, no faults found. 30 seconds later my box rebooted on its own to the welcome screen and then "Starting Up"

So far less than impressed with my so called upgrades.

0 Kudos
philipp
Joining in
Message 37 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Another v6 upgrade??? I am suffering audio and video dropouts to the point its unwatchable! Connected through Denon AVR, every other source performs perfectly - what exactly are we paying for? I see this dropout issue appears to have been happening for years so I guess it's too much to hope for a fix? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Josh_RW
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 38 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hi philipp,

Thanks for posting!

I'm really sorry to hear you're having trouble with this.

Our technicians are still investigating this issue. In the mean time, what happens when you connect the box directly to the TV via HDMI? Do you still experience dropouts?

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
IcedEarth_Dave
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh_RW,

Could you please be very specific on the issue that is being investigated? There are several variations of issues around drop outs. I have posted several times with no forum team response on this. Some people are experiencing sound and visual dropouts. When combined this is much more indicative of hardware issues or signal strength issues. Others like myself however are experiencing inconsistently intermittent short drops in sound for a few seconds when dolby digital surround is being broadcast for example on BBC 1 HD.

As I noted there have been two reference numbers mentioned prior (NKE00009301 / NKE00009237) but again it was not really specific what these covered.

If Virgin are investigating a software sound issue around dolby digital drop outs then I will rest slightly easier and await a solution, though I feel that some form of compensation is due for the disruption this has been causing to viewing.

best regards

Dave

0 Kudos
philipp
Joining in
Message 40 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh_RW,

Unfortunately my room layout does not allow for direct connection but my other sources perform as expected. 

Thanks, 

Phil 

0 Kudos