Menu
mark53c
Tuning in
Message 11 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box sound dropouts driving me mad.

I'm having a similar issue. We will be watching TV and suddenly the sound goes completely. If you change channel it comes back! Is this the problem you have had? I was concerned because I had recently bought a new Sony TV and Sonos Playbase and was concerned it was one of those causing the problem. 

0 Kudos
grdunn123
Up to speed
Message 12 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Mark53C, not sure if it's exactly the same issue - what I have is regular and frequent momentary losses of sound which totally interrupt any continuity in tv programs. I don't lose sound completely for prolonged periods. I use a soundbar, are you using your tv speakers?

0 Kudos
Sky_Lord
Up to speed
Message 13 of 65
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It's the Dolby Digital issue whenever a programme is broadcast in Dolby Digital it will drop sound randomly.

Virgin will fix if when they eventually bring out a new box in 5 years.

Tech is never tested with Virgin. Hub 3.0 has also a serious flaw with latency. No fix on the horizon.
0 Kudos
grdunn123
Up to speed
Message 14 of 65
Flag for a moderator

So had a visit from 'technician' on Friday who knew nothing about sound dropouts with V6 box and did nothing but recommend Sky Q! He did eventually just replace V6 box in living room and wasn't interested in hearing sound dropouts despite my protestations. Result? New V6 box with same sound dropouts and all saved recordings lost....

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 15 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hi grdunn123, 

Thanks for updating us on how your visit went and apologies you are having the same issues. 

This is a known fault that we are working on and the reference for this is: NKE00009237

As soon as we have any update, we shall let you know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
edge306
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 65
Flag for a moderator

I too am having intermittent sound drop-outs.  I've just "upgraded" to V6 from TiVo following a call from VM offering it as an enhanced service/system.  Had nothing but problems with V6 since, engineer visit yesterday - he replaced the box and hdmi cable and had my account corrected by customer services to reflect the change of hardware.  Seemed to be working fine after.  Came home today, switched on and immediately encountered sound drop-outs when coming out of standby.  I can *sometimes* fix it by disconnecting the co-ax, powering off and back on and waiting the 5-10 mins for a full reboot and connection to VM services again.  But not every time.  Another call to customer services, another engineer booked for this Friday - am I wasting my time though?  Have now changed power saving settings to leave it on all the time and plan to just not power it down, at least until Friday....

Deeply frustrating.  I've given up a V+ which was working ok, had my old TiVo moved to another room (it's still working perfectly) and have this new pile of junk giving me nothing but headaches and aggro.  VM - is my problem this same "known issue" and if so when will it be solved?  Otherwise I want to be downgraded to TiVo 500 again and you can keep your rubbish, bug-laden V6 boxes.  Or I'll cancel and go back to S*y........

0 Kudos
grdunn123
Up to speed
Message 17 of 65
Flag for a moderator

Hello Kath F,

It's a positive that at least a significant fault has been identified and accepted by VM - what I would ask is that a reduction in the monthly charge until the fault is rectified. I think this is fair and should be applied retrospectively. I will consider terminating my account if no permanent remedy is found soon. I have had 2 V6 boxes for nearly 6 months now and I think it's unacceptable that this has been identified by so many customers and that you are still charging a full premium.

mark53c
Tuning in
Message 18 of 65
Flag for a moderator

I am having this problem as well, and have posted about it a couple of times, but had no response from VM.

It is a real pain when you are watching a film and the sound drops. The only way to get it back is to change channel and then go back, and re-enter your PIN if its before 8pm.

It seems to do it most on HD channels.

I agree when you are paying a premium price for a premium service it should work properly.

So come on VM what are you doing about it?

0 Kudos
edge306
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 65
Flag for a moderator

I'm delighted to say that following a third engineer visit, my issue is solved.  He swapped the box out - again - but said the cause was likely to be the appalling signal coming into the house.  He said it was -6.2.  By the time he'd finished it was something like +3.5 and have had practically no problems since.  It seems these V6 boxes are far more temperamental with a weak signal, persevere with trying to get your signal strength checked and boosted if possible.  He also replaced the splitter outside, which he said was ancient.  Good luck, and thank you so much to the engineers who finally diagnosed and solved my problem!  :-)

0 Kudos
grdunn123
Up to speed
Message 20 of 65
Flag for a moderator

I had the engineer visit and new box but same problems exist. Pleas provide an update Rose B as soon as you can??

0 Kudos