cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box screen goes blank

rikbignell
On our wavelength

Very similar to this post: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/Screen-keeps-going-blank/m-p/5013075#M106274

My screen keeps going blank.

it has been fine for years but in the last few weeks has been going off randomly when watching. The screen goes blank and just says no signal either for a few seconds or a few minutes. It can be fine for hours or days then will just go off. Doesn’t matter if it’s just tv I’m watching or a recording. Sometimes it comes back if I wait, sometimes I have to turn off and on.

Things I have tried:

new hdmi cables, different tv, different hdmi port, factory reset of v6, moving to a more ventilated shelf (box getting hot to touch on the top).

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

cheers

Rik

6 REPLIES 6

rikbignell
On our wavelength

Hi Garry,

did the engineer solve your problem. I have exactly the same issue. V6 box screen goes blank, tried new cables, different tv, factory reset but nothing solves it. I also notice it’s getting quite hot on the top so I tried moving it to a move ventilated part of the tv cabinet but still every day or so it will stop for a few mins until I turn it off and on again.

cheers 

Rik

roy247
Community elder

@rikbignell wrote:

moving to a more ventilated shelf (box getting hot to touch on the top).

Hi rik,

If the box is getting hot then the vent underneath the box may need cleaning or the fan has died or in the process of giving up, if cleaning isn't the problem then a call to Virgin will be required, that's 150 from a Virgin phone or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone to report a fault or wait here for one of the forum team team to pick this up which might be 2 to 3 day's.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've combined your two duplicate posts into the same thread.

@rikbignell wrote:

The screen goes blank and just says no signal either for a few seconds or a few minutes.

"No signal is usually generated by your TV, reporting a lack of HDMI input.

@rikbignell wrote:

new hdmi cables, different tv, different hdmi port, factory reset of v6, moving to a more ventilated shelf (box getting hot to touch on the top).

Thankyou for being clear on this, rather than state the rather popular (but not very helpful) "I've tried everything" line that many people do. I would concur that this sounds like a box issue - especially if the V6 is getting too hot to touch.

Although I'll go further, and suggest that if you consider this to be a potential fire risk - please don't mess around and just power the box down immediately.

Otherwise, the standard faults process kicks in.. either call in on the usual number or wait here for the forum staff to pickup. That normally takes a couple of days - unless you consider this to be a safety risk?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I would prefer to deal with it all on here as the conversation is tracked in black and white and I don’t have to repeat myself and go through steps I have taken already.

Just an update I looked at the bottom of the V6 and the vent is not blocked and the fan seems to be working. I think it’s a faulty box. Can someone from the Virgin team advise what the next steps are? Do I need an engineer or can I be sent a new box in the post and return the faulty one?

I wasn’t worried about a safety risk until you mentioned it but you’re right if it’s hot all the time including at night as it stays on so it can record any time then yes I guess it could be considered a risk.

thanks in advance.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rikbignell, 

Thank you for your post and I am sorry you are having issues with your V6, I can book to get this replaced for you 🙂
I will pop you over a PM asking for some details, and we can go from there. Just keep an eye out for the purple envelope.

Zoie

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for messaging with me rikbignell, 

Glad I could get this booked in for you 🙂 

If you want to view or change your appointment you can do so here.

Please keep us posted and hope all goes well for you.

Zoie