cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box replaced by Tivo box?

LittleRabbits
On our wavelength

I have an intermittent C130 fault on my V6 box, strange because when it happens the broadband is fine.

I've carried out all the usual checks and finally phoned on Saturday morning - the operator said there were notes on my file saying I was to receive a new box which she arranged to have sent out.

It arrived today and its a Tivo box. Is this correct? I had a tivo before the V6? I dont want to carry out the install and confuse things, am I going to have to phone back or can someone assure me this is correct?  (the package size has actually increased since the v6 box was installed) 

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Was this an engineer visit which led to the box being replaced, or a courier delivery that you installed yourself?

Do you still have your V6 running?

There's several directions this query could take, depending on the answers to the above.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

When I phoned to report the error the operator said she could see a note on file to send out a new box. It came as a self install.

The V6 box is still plugged in and working but ever so often I get the C130 fault, it can take up to 3hrs to resolve and while it's not working it won't even let me use the remote. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Righto - in that case let's separate out the issues here.

1: C130, this can often be a connectivity issue so let's go back to basics. How is your V6 connected to your homehub, for it's this that provides the onward connectivity? Is it wireless or an Ethernet cable? If wireless, please follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, and report the signal strength in the top-right.

It's odd that you can't use the remote in the meantime - do you not get the flashing white LED on the front of the box?

2: The apparent box-swap, I'm at a loss here. Can you check your online account and see whether there's any reference to a multiroom box on your contract/bill? I would also be a little concerned why a V6 would be intentionally swapped for a TiVo. This will likely need the staff team to take a look, but let's rule out a multiroom box first.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Connected via ether net cable.

Its possible it could be the remote that's also faulty - I have changed the batteries but not making a difference. I wouldn't have noticed the remote not working until the fault occurred as we use the app remote to change channels.

I wasn't sure what box was more current but the Tivo one does look like a downgrade - I did get the feeling the CSR was fairly new as she was relieved not to have to go through the fault finding process and had to go and ask for help a few times - hopefully just a mix up and they'll send out a replacement, but we've only had that box about 18mths so not exactly old.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The TiVo is absolutely a downgrade from the V6. It's older, it only has 3 recording tuners rather than the V6's 6, and misses out on quite a few streaming apps.

That's why I'm puzzled - for starters I'm not convinced, based on what you've posted thus far, that you even need a replacement box. This issue may well be fixable. But any replacement should be like-for-like unless, perhaps, there's kit shortages.

If you had a multiroom subscription, it's entirely possible that this is an additional box - hence asking about your contract/bill.

Just taking the underlying issue - it's probably tricky to go too far with diagnostics when you don't have the fault - but have you proven both the Ethernet cable & hub port as good with other known working kit?

Yeah tried swapping both for alternatives but no difference.

I'm pretty sure I still have the old remote in a drawer somewhere so I'll dig it out and see if I can get any more information the next time it happens. 

Thanks for replying 🙂 

Hi LittleRabbits, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the issues you have been having with your box and the C130 error code. A big thanks to our VIP Japitts for jumping in and helping whilst you were waiting for a reply from us 🙂

Taking a look at your account, I can see since posting, an engineer has attended and resolved things for you. If you are still having an issue, please pop back and let us know so we can run through some further checks with you. 

In terms of the TiVo box being sent out, it looks as though when the order for a box swap was placed, the code for the box was left out so this is why the TiVo was sent. I can only apologise regarding this and feedback has been passed to the agent involved 🙂

If you have any further issues, let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs