Menu
Tonyd01
Joining in
Message 11 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box randomly turning itself on.

I've done some further investigation into this issue and it seems my V6 box can't cope with not having the hub turned on (they are connected via an Ethernet cable) when in ECO power mode. I know the advice is to leave hubs turned on but I turn mine off over night and general if I'm not using the internet, which is erratically. What I don't understand is that in Low power mode the box does not randomly turn itself on even though the hub is turned off. This seems to be inconsistent. Are far as the literature goes the hub does not need to be turned on to function day to day but if anybody knows better please let me know.   

0 Kudos
kitcat723
Tuning in
Message 12 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I got a new box last week. It is also turning itself on at night and during the day. When I turn the tv on the box is running. I tried to phone and speak to someone which was pure torture for 16 minutes I’ll never get back for the call taker to tell me all they could do was send out a technician. What’s a technician going to do if this is a software problem? No faults were found running diagnostics remotely. I have it set in eco low power mode which seems pretty pointless if the box can switch itself on. None of my remotes have any stuck buttons. I also do not have my broadband switched on permanently, it gets turned on when required.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 41
Flag for a moderator

HI Kitcat723

Welcome to the Community, I'm very sorry for the problems you're experiencing with your set top box recently.

I've taken a look at your set top box and we're not detecting any errors from our end at the moment. Is this something that you find happens very often or just a few times? 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tonyd01
Joining in
Message 14 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

This happens every day. It seems to be mainly twice but it can be 3, 4, even 6 times in a day.  As you have seen from my posts I though it was possibly linked to not having the hub turned on but I've found recently that it still turns itself on even when the hub is on. In fact it did this, this morning. I also find it strange that sometimes when putting the box into standby, after it has turned itself on that there is no red light displaying. This can last for a few minutes, before the red light comes back or no lights show until I physically turn the box on or it turns itself back on?

Cheers

Tony.

0 Kudos
kitcat723
Tuning in
Message 15 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig, it happens often, now I’ve taken to turning it off at the switch as it won’t stay in standby. Last week I got up at 5am, the box had turned itself on. I turned it off. Two hours later it had turned itself back on again. I took it off the low eco power option, and left it overnight and it didn’t turn itself on, so I don’t know if it is something to do with the eco power mode. 

0 Kudos
YvetteFazekas
Tuning in
Message 16 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Any good news regarding this issue?

Craig, you couldn’t detect any problem with my box on your end because I switched it off (and having been switched off ever since) later that day as it was pretty annoying that it kept switching on itself. 

And also it is really poor form Virgin side that all you can say to us that there is no problem with the boxes on your end. Well, as you can see, there is a problem with the boxes, even if you can’t see them on your end. Maybe your system is not capable of detecting this problem, but that doesn’t mean that the problem does not exist. 

So, is there any solution to this problem?

And please, do not come with obvious answers, we are not a bunch of stupid people, we do try things before we come here searching for a solution. Also, don’t come with the reply that you have checked and there’s no problem with them. 

All of us have this problem, some of us have tried to dig in deeper to solve the issue, some of us not. 

But the problem does exist. 

Thanks. 

kitcat723
Tuning in
Message 17 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Also I am getting a C130 error when my broadband is turned off. I ran a check and it says a network cable is unplugged. There is no cable unplugged. This error always resolves itself when I turn on my broadband. This is very irritating with the new box turning itself on and not working without the broadband connected. Can you guys check the software as it doesn’t seem to be a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
kitcat723
Tuning in
Message 18 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Just discovered box is also turning back

on in low power standby as well as eco power. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi kitcat723

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community.

The V6 box needs an internet connection to be able to work so if you are turning the power off to the Hub this will be the reason you are getting an error on the screen of C130 error and it will say a network cable is unplugged. This is the same message for wired and wireless connections.

As for the box turning itself on, you have advised that you have tried this with eco low power mode and in low power standby. Have you tried to change the setting to always on and then power the box into standby?

Let me know how this goes for you.

Take care

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
kitcat723
Tuning in
Message 20 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Had I known that the broadband always had to be on at the same time as the box I would not have upgraded and just stuck with the old one. I appreciate the reply about changing the settings however this is not an adequate solution to the issue. Effectively this suggesting is that low power and eco modes are pointless because they don't work, so don't use them. I want to use the eco power mode and I want virgin to find the solution to the problem.  

0 Kudos