cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box no picture but sound now just a green screen

darksideby182
On our wavelength

Hi all 

I turned my TV on earlier and found that I had a black screen but with menus and with sound. Tried a different hdmi cable and port still the same problem, then I tried changing the output resolution and now have a green screen (no error codes or writing just green) now no sound either any ideas or anyway to reset the box?

Edit no have sound with the green screen. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @darksideby182 

You could try the following which should force the V6 screen to reset and hopefully it will display in the basic  576p resolution.

Hopefully this will allow you to go into the V6 settings and change the video output again.

Using your remote control press Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, 4, 8, 0, Clear

Fingers crossed you should now be able to see the screen again, if so then using your remote

1. Press Home  > Help & Settings >  Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format

Either go to Auto detect to run a test of your TV’s display options. It will then ask you to confirm the new display selection  or choose  Test Formats to run a quick test on the Virgin TV V6 box and follow the onscreen guides

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @darksideby182 

A green screen is often the result of a faulty HDMI cable or port.

On some TV's it's the colour of the screen if an incorrect HDMI source has been selected (although there is usually an error message too)

Have you tried rebooting both your V6 and TV so they can perfom a new handshake?

If the green screen shows  the "DVR has detected an error" message then your hard drive has failed and the box will need replacing.

Regarding performing a hard reset - Please note doing this will also erase all the V6 data - such as all you recordings and links.

Turn the V6 off with the switch on the back of the box and disconnect it from the mains for 5 minutes, then plug it in again.

Now hold the + and standby buttons on the front of the V6 together simultaneously and keeping the buttons pressed in turn the V6 on again with the rocker switch on the back,  and wait till you see the welcome screen appear on the TV - then release the buttons.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for the reply I have tried different hdmi cables and different ports on my TV other devices work correctly with each port and hdmi cable I have tried, there is no message on the green screen. Oddly the sound has come back but not the picture. The green screen only occured after I had played around with the resolution settings. Both the V6 box and TV have been left of for a few minutes then turned back on with the same results as above. 

Would rather not reset the box if I'm gonna lose my data. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @darksideby182 

You could try the following which should force the V6 screen to reset and hopefully it will display in the basic  576p resolution.

Hopefully this will allow you to go into the V6 settings and change the video output again.

Using your remote control press Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down, 4, 8, 0, Clear

Fingers crossed you should now be able to see the screen again, if so then using your remote

1. Press Home  > Help & Settings >  Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format

Either go to Auto detect to run a test of your TV’s display options. It will then ask you to confirm the new display selection  or choose  Test Formats to run a quick test on the Virgin TV V6 box and follow the onscreen guides

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Looks like leaving it off for a few hours has sorted it 

Thanks for your help newapollo