cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box making loud ticking noise

Ryan52a
Tuning in

I'm currently experiencing a problem with my v6 box, its stuck in some sort of boot loop on welcome and starting up, whilst making a loud ticking noise.......I've done everything that's been instructed with no prevail. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes the box is broken, the hard drive has managed to poo itself, the problem I've got now is though VM are trying to charge me for a replacement.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Sounds possibly like the hard drive has died.

Goto https://my.virginmedia.com/faults/service-status and click on the run test button for the TV (you'll need to login) . iirc you have to select which box then Virgin's system runs some automated tests from their end

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sounds horribly like the box is duff, and quite likely because the hard drive has died, as per this previous reply.

I would go direct to VM Faults to report this. 150 from a Virgin phone, 0345 4541111 from any other phone, and follow the options for "I have a fault with my TV service".

The faults-IVR can usually run the same diagnostics that the website can, with the added advantage of letting you queue for a faults agent if they don't work.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes the box is broken, the hard drive has managed to poo itself, the problem I've got now is though VM are trying to charge me for a replacement.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ryan52a wrote:

On what basis?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

As no engineers can come to my home due to the lockdown if I want a replacement I will need to pay £50, the new v6 box will be sent and I will have to send the old one back.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've queried this with the forum staff, my understanding is that home visits for TV-only faults aren't currently being offered (understandably so) as per https://www.virginmedia.com/help/coronavirus-update .

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You might need to pay a £5 delivery charge, but you shouldn't be charged for a like for like replacement for a faulty box unless the box has been damaged due to misuse/mistreatment. 

Inclusive servicing/repairs: Excludes misuse/mistreatment and accidental damage. See terms and conditions. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Ryan52a,

Sorry to hear about your V6 box being faulty and I've asked the Team to query about the charge so we can make sure our advice is correct. I've had a look at your details using the information from here and I'm going to send you a Private Message so I can make sure I'm looking at the right details.

Please reply back to it so I can help.

Thanks,

Lisa

Thanks for the details via Private Message @Ryan52a and can confirm that I'm looking at the right details. I've had an update from our Support Team about the charge and they've confirmed that until further notice, the only work we're not doing due to COVID are non essential visits such as equipment relocation and additional outlet installs for example. 

I've arranged for a replacement V6 box to be sent out to you and it can take up to 5 days for it to arrive. Please make sure it's activated by following the guide inside the package and let us know if you have any problems.

Thanks,

Lisa