cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box from eBay?

howla
Joining in

HI,

I have recently moved from Sky Q to Virgin and I'm impressed with the service and V6 boxes. I don't have a V6 box in the bedroom and would like to change that as the older Tivio box as it runs like a pig. I have seen people selling V6 boxes on eBay, would it be possible to buy one of these and swap the older Tivio box or is this not permitted? 

Thanks,

Kevin

13 REPLIES 13

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In short no, because its a stolen box. Virgin only rent boxes as Cable TV in this country is a closed system. Only boxes issued to your account & sent to you directly by Virgin can be used. Any box from another source is 1) Being sold illegally & 2) cannot be activated, so is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ok, thanks for that, I had to pay for my additional v6 boxes when I joined Virgin so where do I stand on that one? I guess I need to speak to Virgin about upgrading the older Tivo box to a V6 then. Interesting how Sky Q allows you to buy additional boxes from any source and they work without issues.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Given Sky Q boxes are now also rental and remain the property of Sky, I doubt your last assertion is  true.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Sky do NOT allow you to buy SkyQ boxes from other sources.  All SkyQ boxes and VirginMedia boxes on Ebay are stolen - unless the owner paid the charge for loosing them. Even then they will not be activated.

@howla wrote:

Ok, thanks for that, I had to pay for my additional v6 boxes when I joined Virgin so where do I stand on that one? I guess I need to speak to Virgin about upgrading the older Tivo box to a V6 then. Interesting how Sky Q allows you to buy additional boxes from any source and they work without issues.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

For each V6 to work it must be registered to your account by its serial number, and VM won't do this for somebody else's box.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi,

I bought Sky Q mini boxes for other rooms from

ebay and they worked fine with no activation issues. I have also just sold them on as I don’t need them as a Virgin customer. If you have been a customer for more than 12 months I think you’re ok to keep the kit, I could be wrong. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@howla wrote:

Yes, you can buy SkyQ boxes, but again these are rentals that people haven't returned. Sky won't activate them. Its only that Sky is a Hybrid platform, so the box does work for all the Free unencrypted channels that Sky does not control anyway. On Virgin, with the exception of channels 1 to 5, all the channels are encrypted, so even if you could get a box started it woud be of little use.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Ok that makes sense, not sure why are people selling and buying them second hand? 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@howla wrote:

Hi,

I bought Sky Q mini boxes for other rooms from

ebay and they worked fine with no activation issues. I have also just sold them on as I don’t need them as a Virgin customer. If you have been a customer for more than 12 months I think you’re ok to keep the kit, I could be wrong. 

From Skys T&Cs:

"Sky Q boxes are loaned equipment supplied to you at no cost and remain the property of Sky (or another Sky group company) at all times"

"You must return or allow us to collect loaned equipment when reasonably requested to do so. This is the case even if it is being used by you to receive third party retailed content and you are responsible for managing any subscriptions with third parties. •If you fail to return the loaned equipment you will have to pay a non-return charge. For more information about these charges go to sky.com/nonreturncharge"

https://www.sky.com/shop/__PDF/Sky_Q_contract.PDF