cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box freezing

Wilts
On our wavelength

Hi

Just got back from a week's holiday this eve and decided to watch tv on our 2nd box in the bedroom and it keeps freezing, cant do anything, other than switch off at mains, wait a minute and reboot.

Coincidently, i have an engineer appointment for tom morn, booked in 8/9 days ago, as our internet keeps dropping or taking ages to come back on if supply interrupted.

So, after this longwinded post, does anyone know if the engineer tomorrow will look at both issues, even if his/her log for here, only mentions the wifi hub issue?

I was going to call VM just now to explain the new problem, but then thought the engineer tomorrow will look into both issues.

Any thoughts?

Cheers Wilts

9 REPLIES 9

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Once you have a tech visit for one problem, they should be able to look at other loss-of-service too.

There can't be any harm in calling to report the other fault and make sure - but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Wilts

Thanks for posting - I hope you had a lovely holiday firstly 🙂

I am sorry to hear of the TV box freezing. I can see from the system check that you've had the tech visit since posting. How did it go, is everything sorted? 
Please let us know if there's anything further we can assist with.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Wilts
On our wavelength

Engineer came last Fri 5th to fix slow and dropping out wifi. Told him about our bedroom V6 (2nd box) freezing and switching itself off to restart. 

He did a short update on the bedroom box  but it is still turning itself off, whilst i'm watching and then goes into Start Up mode, so obs still not right.

This eve the Starting Up is taking an age, more than 20 mins, which aint right. In fact, at mo it is in Starting Up mode, but it's been like this for nearly half hour.

Guess the box is stuffed.

Away for a few days from tom, so if a VM mod looks in can you ping me a personal email and book an engineer for early next week please (w/c 15th Aug).

Cheers Wilts

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any TV box that's restarting regularly clearly does indeed have a fault.

@Wilts wrote:

Away for a few days from tom, so if a VM mod looks in can you ping me a personal email and book an engineer for early next week please (w/c 15th Aug).

The VM staff on here will use the forum's Private Messaging (PM) system to pass your account security and then arrange the earliest possible appointment should they deem that necessary.

Make sure you have your forum notifications set to email you when a PM arrives, so you know when to login to your PM's on this forum. You won't get an email with any appointment details. Be aware there is a £25 charge if you miss a scheduled appointment without rescheduling it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hey Wilts, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some issues with your TV box.

Thank you for confirming what has been done so far. 

I would like to send you a PM, so we can run some further tests, please can you keep an eye out for the purple envelope. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Wilts
On our wavelength

I reported a fault on here with my V6 box switching itself off.

i've had a VM rep come back via private message asking for details to clear security.

Why is the VM rep asking for my banking sort code to finally clear me?

Doesnt seem right to me, quite frankly, so i havent further replied to him.

Any other VM rep explain to me please?

Because of my hesitation i havent got an engineer booked.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable
if you're contacted on this website (purple envelope) it's totally safe, I understand sharing all manner of personal information doesn't feel right but it's legit.
VM have a duty of care to only speak to the account holder re: account issues and this is why the 20 questions.
You'll face the same/similar questions on their WhatsApp, telephone or webchat

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Firstly, rather than keep creating a new thread for the same issue - it helps everyone if you can keep to the same thread. I've merged them all together for you.

@Wilts wrote:

Why is the VM rep asking for my banking sort code to finally clear me?

Doesnt seem right to me, quite frankly, so i havent further replied to him.

The PM system is the forum's way of passing account security, the online equivalent of going through password security with a telephone agent. It sounds like you didn't know your password, so the forum staffer tried alternative security questions to clear security - perfectly normal process. The only thing to check is that the PM you've had is from a forum staff member - they're listed here and can also be spotted apart from other users by the VM logo as their avatar and "forum team" or "Virgin Media staff" where anyone else has their rank.

@Wilts wrote:

Because of my hesitation i havent got an engineer booked.

That's your choice, but I refer you to the advice above and also in my post#5 above. I can assure you that exchanging PM's with VM staff member on here is no different to speaking with a faults agent on VM's published phone numbers. However, if you'd rather not - then you're quite welcome to call in instead. Having said that, I know which method I'd find - ultimately - less painful.

Hey @Wilts, thanks for the reply.

To clear through security we ask several questions on the forums that only the account holder themselves would know, i.e. whether they be information about the services of the billing side of things, and this is for us to clear data protection should you get the answers right.

If you have been invited in through for a private message on the purple envelope - it is totally safe and your details are secure through our network.
If you wish to continue the discussion on how to get this issue with the V6 box fixed, please reply to my colleague and they will be able to further assist. 🙂

Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs