cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box ethernet port

Devarsi
Tuning in

Hello Is it possible to connect the V6 box via ethernet cable from the ethernet port to a network streamer to receive Hifi music like you could if it was connected to the router?

It's just the router is quiet a distance away and the lady of the house doesn't like long cables all over the place.

I don't want WiFi connection

What is your advice please

Thank you

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi it is just for receiving TV images, you can also listen to radio stations, you can't send music from third party equipment to it. Regards Micky

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

BumbleVMTech
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, the ethernet on the back of the V6 box is for supplying internet connection from the hub to the V6.  It wont supply internet.  If you want a hardwired connection without cables run from hub, you could try a powerline adaptor.

Regards

Rich

Here to help! Im a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more
************ FANCY £50 OFF YOUR BILL ************

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

V360 is a completely new software platform to V6, but the hardware requirements are identical to V6.

In other words - the Ethernet port is the recommended way of getting an internet connection to the box. If you can't, then WiFi is acceptable.

V360 & V6 are totally different software platforms, but in terms of connectivity - are 100% identical.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm not sure what you mean by getting hifi music, but all VM boxes need an internet connection which is used for OnDemand, streaming services & EPG (TV Guide) updates.

The V6 relies on a connection to your homehub for this connection - an Ethernet connection is ideal and recommended, but stable WiFi is perfectly usable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hello thank you for replying

I have a Yamaha music receiver connected to WiFi to the upstairs router.The Yamaha receives tidal via WiFi that way.

Now I want to connect the Yamaha receiver via ethernet, because I read the sound quality is better, but using the router would mean to much cable involved.

So Iam asking if I can connect the Yamaha receiver to the V6 boxes ethernet port to receive the same service? It is that just meant for TV service?

Many thanks

The V6 is downstairs

Hi it is just for receiving TV images, you can also listen to radio stations, you can't send music from third party equipment to it. Regards Micky

BumbleVMTech
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, the ethernet on the back of the V6 box is for supplying internet connection from the hub to the V6.  It wont supply internet.  If you want a hardwired connection without cables run from hub, you could try a powerline adaptor.

Regards

Rich

Here to help! Im a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more
************ FANCY £50 OFF YOUR BILL ************

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************

Thank you is that the same with the new 360 box or the software upgrade to it?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

V360 is a completely new software platform to V6, but the hardware requirements are identical to V6.

In other words - the Ethernet port is the recommended way of getting an internet connection to the box. If you can't, then WiFi is acceptable.

V360 & V6 are totally different software platforms, but in terms of connectivity - are 100% identical.

Anonymous
Not applicable
wifi or ethernet are digital, not analog there will be NO difference in quality.