Menu
Jackboyo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

V6 box connected to VPN router

Just received the V6 box and just wondering if it is going to work when connected.

Presently have the Superhub 3 in modem only mode and an Asus router which has Nord VPN installed on it. Therefore all connected devices in the house are going through the VPN.

So the V6 box will be connected to the Asus router via an ethernet switch in the front room, due to the distance between them. I'm assuming this will be ok for the television channels, but what about apps such as Iplayer? I am using a London server with Nord VPN

0 Kudos
CourtneyFish
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box connected to VPN router

I hope by now everything has worked OK.

I don't work for Virginmedia but I'm 99.9% certain that apps like Netflix and Iplayer don't use the internet channel for streaming to the V6 but use one of its 6 cable tuners like any video on demand or tv channel. The ethernet connection on the V6 is used for updates to the V6 and for streaming live tv or "my shows" from the V6 to a phone or tablet. I'm surprised that you needed an ethernet switch to handle the cable length inside your house, I managed with Tivo direct to router for ages until I added a network drive and media player and then wanted to split the network two ways - disk to media player/ tivo to router. This allows separate traffic simultaneously on the two parts, recorded movies from network drive watched on main TV and separate use of tablet or phone. I live in a congested wifi area so prefer using wired network.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No, the V6 apps, such as Netflix, do use your broadband connection - 100% sure.

TiVo does likewise but uses it’s own internet connection.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It will depend upon where your VPN is seen as terminating by Netflix and the BBC. 

The IP address range may not be registered as a UK one and also Netflix have clamped down on access via VPNs and are actively blocking access through many (although I think NordVPN is one that manages to "beat the block").

0 Kudos
Jackboyo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok, set the V6 box up tonight.
As it is going through its startup routine, kept complaining that there is a cable unplugged. After this happened three times, turned the VPN off on the router, then carried on with the start up routine and setup correctly.

I have now setup selective routing on the router, so all devices in the house still goe through the VPN and the V6 uses WAN. Seems to now be working fine.

So if you have a VPN installed on your router, it does interfere with the V6 box and blocks it.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Presumeably, given V6 requires Virgin Media broadband, your real IP is checked to see it is a valid Virgin Media one before the V6 is allowed to start up.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
arfa69
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

After much sorting out I found that I had to exclude the V6 Box from the VPN then it all works OK.  I also took my Superhub out of Modem mode and then disconnected the ethernet cable from the V6 Box which then allowed me to connect the V6 Box via WIFI whilst all my other equipment was going through my Tomato Router which also worked.  Just took a lot of time to figure it all out but got there in the end

UnlimitedPowar
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

First of all, try doing it without VPN, it can create additional issues, so start without it. But it highly recommended using VPN in 2018 with every online interaction as it's too easy to get your personal data from your home network, even don't watch netflix without VPN ( vpn netflix 2018 ) so be concerned about it.

0 Kudos
gjchester
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@UnlimitedPowarwrote:

First of all, try doing it without VPN, it can create additional issues, so start without it. But it highly recommended using VPN in 2018 with every online interaction as it's too easy to get your personal data from your home network, even don't watch netflix without VPN so be concerned about it.

A VPN does not automatically make you any safer.  A VPN only encrypts traffic from point to point, if the company you connect to keeps logs, is forced (or chooses to) pass data to law enforcement, or is compromised then your data is just as open as if you were not using a VPN.  Take a look here how an alleged cyber stalker was unmasked by the VON logs - https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/08/vpn_logs_helped_unmask_alleged_net_stalker_say_feds/

While there is an advantage to using a VPN for some transactions,  its easy to think everything is safe just because you are using a VPN.

Which is better, using a bank via a regular HTTPS site, where data is encrypted between you and the bank,  or connecting to the same bank via a VPN where it could mean your credentials are going to a potentially unknown site, in an unknown place,  where you have no idea what logs may or may not be kept by the VPN company.

0 Kudos
UnlimitedPowar
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Are you saying that my ISP or other could track  my traffic even with me using VPN+Tor or other services? Is there a way to avoid it?

0 Kudos