cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box changing channel automatically

slartibartfast1
On our wavelength

Recently my V6 box has started to change channels when a series link programme starts. Has something changed to cause this? If so how do I stop it happening?

22 REPLIES 22

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The most obvious reason is that all 6 of your recording tuners are in use when this happens, meaning there are no free tuners remaining to stay on whatever channel you're watching live.

Press "My Shows" when this happens and count the number of programmes being recorded at the top. It should be 6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Been using 360 too long to remember correctly but couldn't you set programmes to switch automatically when they started ?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Indeed - a "record with reminder" is a facility that V6 offers and could also explain this. There's 2 reasons I suspect it's not the cause here..

1: The OP would get a "Programme blah blah" is due to start shortly" popup 5 minutes previously, they've not mentioned that.

2: A reminder needs to be consciously set up or the default set accordingly - I'd have thought the OP would therefore know.

But all that said... good point. @slartibartfast1  - this is another possibility but check for any onscreen notifications a few minutes before the channel changes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

It was the only programme being recorded at that time. This doesn't seem to affect all series links though as I just tried setting a new one and the channel didn't change. I'll keep an eye on it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which case monitor your recordings to see if any specific SL causes this. If memory serves me correctly, a reminder can only be set on a manual recording and not an SL. My V6 is in use at the moment and it's not an option on TV Control, but check the SL settings for a reminder being manually enabled.

I have never seen a popup saying a programme is about to start. I generally notice the channel has changed when I manually change the channel before the series linked programme starts and then notice that the channel has changed back again. I will pay more attention next time although I see that the programme in question (MasterChef) is not on at the same time next week.

roy247
Community elder

Hi japitts,

You will pleased to know when you switch to 360 you can still set reminders. 🤣

Edited to say; I never use them, just watch or record !

The V6 has eight tuners allowing you to simultaneously record six programmes whilst watching a seventh which had been recorded (the eighth tuner is not in use). If you are recording more than six I suggest checking the planned recordings and also suggestions (where it's not uncommon for a programme to be recorded unknown to you).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

The V6 has eight tuners allowing you to simultaneously record six programmes whilst watching a seventh which had been recorded

For VM purposes the V6 has 6 tuners.

If you try recording more than 6 different channels simultaneously you'll get an error.