cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 box audio level very low

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

Last week I received a new V6 box (replacing TiVo).

The audio level is way low (vs Freeview) via HDMI on my very standard Sony TV.

When I first got a TiVo box (years ago), I had the same problem, but some smart person said change the audio output away from Dolby (as the Dobly level has to be low to allow for its extra dynamic range). That suggestion worked a treat - audio level identical to Freeview.

Now I have resurrected that same issue on the V6, and changing the audio output to PCM makes no difference.

Googling shows many people with the same problem. I suspect all people, but not all know about this or live with it. One of the posts suggests it is about 10dB down (massive), which I think sounds about right.

I feel pretty sure this is a real problem. Can't it be fixed by an "over the network" V6 software update? My TV volume is cranked up really high.

18 REPLIES 18

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's a compatibility bug with some tvs, it's not an issue that can be resolved by Virgin. Perhaps your TV can have a software update? 

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

There was no compatibity problem with the TiVo box (once set correctly). My Sony TV came out long before the V6 box so it is the V6 box that has compatibility issues.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It's actually older tvs when connected to a 4k device thats the issue, not the v6 box

Pbs
Tuning in
Yes I agree with this statement. had the problem since upgrade to V6 box. Come on Virgin, lets get this sorted.

@Pbs wrote:
Yes I agree with this statement. had the problem since upgrade to V6 box. Come on Virgin, lets get this sorted.

Do you too have an older TV?

Hi Pbs, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having an issue with this too. 

As mentioned above by jb66, this is an issue that is caused when an older TV is being connected to a newer 4k device. It's not a bug that we can fix. 

It's worth seeing if your TV has any software updates that it can run. 

Apologies we were unable to suggest anything more. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Snoopdog
On our wavelength

I think the real answer is that it is a design error in the V6 box; but sadly not one that can be fixed by a over the netrwork update.

Even if Kath's answer were true, an option for louder audio could have been put in during the the design stage.

Now I get blasted by the boot-up audio from my very standard Sony TV, before the V6 box takes over.

Very poor!

WoahWoahUser
Up to speed

This has been a problem for years, but I just want to know why the V6 box is so quiet compared to any other device, especially in HD. It’s always confused me and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious reason why. Does anyone know?

What have you got the V6 audio setting set to?

And what are you listening on? a tv or via an amp

@WoahWoahUser wrote:

This has been a problem for years, but I just want to know why the V6 box is so quiet compared to any other device, especially in HD. It’s always confused me and there doesn’t seem to be an obvious reason why. Does anyone know?

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5