Menu
Telco_Engineer
Tuning in
Message 71 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

They can't be more open because it's tantamount to admitting to having sold something not fit for purpose and compensating their customers would lose them money.

If this is my first day experience with VM then I dread to think what is further down the line.

Seriously considering using my 14 day cooling off period and raising the issue on social media to make others aware.
0 Kudos
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 72 of 234
Flag for a moderator

My thoughts exactly, they don't want to admit it's not working correctly. And it seems have no idea how to fix it.

We pay around £100 a month for this service and have been with virgin ever since they took over from telewest! And I think we all deserve some answers.
Telco_Engineer
Tuning in
Message 73 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Right I have done some more digging and if the black screen is related the HDCP 2.2 we are all screwed.

HDCP2.2 is the content protection system for 4K devices so if your AVR doesn't support HDCP 2.2 you ain't getting a picture.

If your TV doesn't support it then that may be the reason the direct connection of the V6 to he TV doesn't work.

These are the new standards the industry is working to.

I need to test something on my system to check if the above is indeed fact but it does stand to reason.

This may not be a big afterall if what I am thinking is true - it's the 4K standardisation

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 74 of 234
Flag for a moderator

It's up to virgin media to find an answer as it's their responsibility as it's their box
cybmole
Community elder
Message 75 of 234
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:
It's up to virgin media to find an answer as it's their responsibility as it's their box

i think they are trying - in other threads they are requesting info from affected folks as to makes and models of affected devices

But Virgin cannot unilaterally re-write or bypass the silly tech rules, that the content makers have mandated

it seems that black. green/purple are all due to HDCP2.2 handshake failures. Even if you get a working screen at start up, a subsequent sleep/ standby/change source operation can cause it to fail and go black / green/purple/ choose a colour....

I blame hollywood. the HDCP spec is fragile and fickle, expecting handshake  timings in a very narrow window. I was plagued by a combo of one PC(nvidia graphics card)  linked via HDMi  one samsung TV sang no HDCP even though the tv worked with other PCs and the PC worked with other tvs. . and I waste much time trying other cables, other ports.....eventually, some months later, after some NVidia or windows upgrade, it randomly decided that it was HDCP compatible after all.

there's much to be said for the dark side solution of getting your HD content with all the annoying HDCP crap already removed Smiley Happy

& the ready availability of that , in full HD / high quality blu ray rips shows that it's a useless "protection" anyway.. The pirates just laugh at it and continue with business as usual. Only the honest but naive paying customers suffer

0 Kudos
tboman
Dialled in
Message 76 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Although I am sure the problem could be related to HDCP handshake, the problem still occurs if your setup meets all HDCP 2.2 criteria. I have, as many others do, the V6 connected to an AV amp via a HDMI 2.0 spec cable to a HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible port, then the AV amp connected to a HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible port on the TV via another HDMI 2.0 spec cable. So HDMI 2.0 /HDCP 2.2 compatible equipment all the way and I still get the black screen problem and sound dropouts. This only effects the V6 box, no other similarly connected 4K sources. The other equipment cannot be blamed, this is a V6 problem through and through!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 77 of 234
Flag for a moderator

tboman wrote:
Although I am sure the problem could be related to HDCP handshake, the problem still occurs if your setup meets all HDCP 2.2 criteria. I have, as many others do, the V6 connected to an AV amp via a HDMI 2.0 spec cable to a HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible port, then the AV amp connected to a HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 compatible port on the TV via another HDMI 2.0 spec cable. So HDMI 2.0 /HDCP 2.2 compatible equipment all the way and I still get the black screen problem and sound dropouts. This only effects the V6 box, no other similarly connected 4K sources. The other equipment cannot be blamed, this is a V6 problem through and through!

Virgin have to strictly adhere to the standard, many TV manufacturers are lax in their implementation, many other 3rd party devices ignore it.

0 Kudos
tboman
Dialled in
Message 78 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dannylau,

So you are saying that Panasonic, a very well established TV manufacturer do not meet the standards in their high end TVs and Yamaha, who are highly respected in the AV amp arena do not meet the standards in their high end equipment. Interesting statement that!

The Amazon Fire TV 4K and the Panasonic DMP-U900 UHD Blu-ray player have no problems with my TV or Amp. The old Tivo box had no problem with my TV and Amp. The Virgin V6 is the only device I have any problem with, so why does the problem lie elsewhere and not with the V6 box?

Regards,

Tony

tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 79 of 234
Flag for a moderator

So true, I find that highly unlikely, seeing as the standards would of course be implemented correctly, they are TV manufacturers after all, they're hardly going to ignore new standards, or implement them badly, it is literally the most important device... it's for watching TV!

We also have different AV receivers and TVs, so It's very unlikely to be our hardware.

I have an LG OLED55C6V which is last years model, but supports all the new standards and I have a DENON AVR-x2300w which is also a top rated bit of kit, with HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 Support on all 7 HDMI inputs, HDR, 4K @60hz 4:4:4 Chroma etc. etc.

Even if I plug the V6 directly into the TV bypassing the AV Receiver, it still has the black screen issue.

Funny how I have my PS4 (In 4k), Nvidia Shield (in 4K), PC (in 4k) & Steam Link connected to my setup and all work fine with no black screen issues, apart from the V6 Box.

I'll say it again, the issue lies with Virgin, not the TV and AV Receiver manufacturers.

anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 80 of 234
Flag for a moderator

I tend to agree with the last couple of comments that the issue lies with virgin media and we saw earlier that it has been agreed that the problem lies with them

I have a brand new state of the art tv and sound system and am positive it's not Panasonic or Sony's fault