Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

On my tivo I'd occasionally have sound, menus but no picture... wiggling the HDMI lead usually fixed it...

Not had any problems like this on my v6 though

0 Kudos
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

Hello, did you ever get this resolved?

I'm getting the same, sometimes picture with no sound until I change channel and back again, or sometimes no video but sound, but I can still see all the virgin menus etc. I noticed turning it off and on sometimes fixes it in standby mode or turning the TV off and on repeatedly. If not unplug the hdmi cable and back again and it works. 

Very odd behaviour as it didn't happen on my old tivo, it doesn't happen on our living room tivo v6 either, (fullhd Sony kdl55w905) but it happens on my 4k tv (LG Oled55c6v)... I've ordered a new hdmi cable to see if it fixes it but it's unlikely as it shows the menus etc but not the broadcast.

Anyone from virgin have any ideas? Apart from calling the virgin number because that's a waste of time for issues like this in my experience. I'd like to know if others have had this issue?

0 Kudos
piphil
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 234
Flag for a moderator

re wRe: V6 black screen bug?

There wasn't a resolution as such - I just found that starting my TV first, and waiting for it to "boot" fully, before switching on the V6 prevented the issue. I let Virgin's V6 team know this - you may be able to contact them. When I mentioned the V6 box after phoning 150 and getting through to customer support, they put me through to a team set up specifically for V6 issues. I spoke to someone who seemed to be a little more clued up than the standard support team.

Mcgaz
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Re: re wRe: V6 black screen bug?

Im getting something similar. Its new for me so I haven't found the right trick for me yet, but I get the black screen and have to turn things on and off to get it working. I'll build up a list of issues and ring customer services too.

0 Kudos
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Well I replaced the HDMI cable. And so far so good. No issues yet. If that changes I'll be sure to let you guys know.

By the way I bought the "Zeskit Cinema Series High Speed HDMI Cable" from Amazon, I was going to get Amazon's own brand as they're good too. But this cable looked slimmer so I went with that.

It's strange because the cable I had before is a high speed good quality one so I'm not sure if it's that or not yet. Fingers crossed it's fixed.
0 Kudos
alanplum241276
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 234
Flag for a moderator

I am experiencing a similar issue.

When I start up my V6 from standby, I get a black screen, but changing the source on the TV away from HDMI1 and back again fixes it.

My TV is a Samsung KS8000.  It only started happening recently.

According to this post here (look for 1160) https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-ks9000-8000-owners-thread-part-2.2062302/page-88

It seems it could be a Samsung firmware issue with version 1160.

tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Seems I spoke too soon. It's still happening, so it's not the HDMI cable.

I don't think it's your TV either if others here are getting the same problem. But I guess it could be if your issue isn't exactly like ours.

It's the new v6 box in my case. And I expect others too.
0 Kudos
WilliamA
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Same issue here. Also noticed it when swapping from Netflix using the TV's own app to the V6 on HDMI. I'm getting other issues around standby as covered elsewhere on this site which look like HDMI handshake issues.

0 Kudos
tjc_2005
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Yeah very strange... It'd be nice if virgin chimed in to acknowledge this issue though.
0 Kudos
Only12months
Tuning in
Message 20 of 234
Flag for a moderator

I have this problem too on my second V6 box connected to a Sony Bravia KDL32EX301.

If I power up TV , wait for the HDMI no signal warning and then start the V6 box, most of the time this gives me picture and sound. Other wise it is a black screen until you get the home screen displayed at which point you get audio but no content picture.

edited to add

Main V6 Other issues are

4k YouTube content won't auto switch to 4K output, it just stays on 1080p when connected to a 4K TV.

I have turned off power saving as this just crashes the V6 box

0 Kudos