Menu
spellinn
On our wavelength
Message 181 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

So it's "only" Samsung, LG & Sony UHD TV's then....but definitely not the V6 box Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
cor_jade
Tuning in
Message 182 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Guess you misunderstood the thread?

0 Kudos
Slice
On our wavelength
Message 183 of 234
Flag for a moderator

OK bug still there, with 1080p 1080p passthru and 2060 passthrough only. 

Annoying thing is, I power on the Tivo, it all works fine then after about 10-20 seconds then the TV picture goes blank, bit weird that it's already working initially.

Anyway powering off the TV at mains makes it work,  but if it's doing the same on all different TVs it means it's either

1) Tivo box has a bug
2) Several 4K TV manufacturers HDMI code is bugged and the same, or same components.
3) The HDMI protocol itself has a flaw or how 4K works.

or a combo. 

Will disable 4K, which of course means with Virgin V6 at least it is ridiculous and pointless owning a 4K TV.

0 Kudos
Gmjh
Dialled in
Message 184 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Not really pointless .virtually nothing is in 4k anyway .and Netflix 4k is notoriously average. If yourTV has a good upscaler then Netflix 1080p will look very similar to Netflix 4k . I'm hoping 4k broadcast tv by BBC etc will be of a much higher quality. And by the time that happens virgin might have actually resolved the 4k balls up they're continually ignoring so far. 

Slice
On our wavelength
Message 185 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Agreed but what 4K there is, I want to watch it.  And if any becomes available soon then as soon it's available.  Hardly going to help uptake if Virgin's new 4K capable box doesn't actually work with 4K and possibly may never do so, given we have seen no action or official type response.

We need more people buying a 4K TV, not things like this putting people off buying for the moment.

0 Kudos
Slice
On our wavelength
Message 186 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Hmm today I had this bug again several times for about 5 minutes.  I had only 1080p and 1080p passthrough enabled, no 4K at all.  So this is NOT a 4K bug.

Is there a proper fix for this ?  TV I'd expect it to show me pictures without going through hoops every day.

0 Kudos
cor_jade
Tuning in
Message 187 of 234
Flag for a moderator

mine is ok with 2160 disabled and hasn't gone off since, have you disabled eco mode and set to always on?
0 Kudos
WilliamA
On our wavelength
Message 188 of 234
Flag for a moderator

No, not a 4K bug, but most likely HDCP, the copy protection used for HDMI. This requires a 'handshake' when a video device like the V6 sends a signal to a receiving device such as a TV or AV amp. The latest HDCP standard, 2.2, has very strict tolerances and the handshake sometimes fails which means either no picture is received or sometimes only the unprotected parts of the signal such as the menu and sound are received. Because the handshake fails so often with the V6, many Virgin customers are saying that the V6 is the problem. The Virgin response is that the V6 is fully compliant so it must be the customer's AV equipment or poor cable, or bad firmware on their TVs - anything except the V6 in fact. There may well be other factors causing problems such as the the reliability of 4K compatibility with certain TVs, but HDCP has a history of causing similar problems over the years. Probably the most irritating thing is that the serious pirates broke HDCP encryption at least 2 years ago and the only people really inconvenienced by this are customers simply trying to use what they have paid for.

Incidentally, not that it's any consolation, but many PS4 users report a raft of similar issues.

Slice
On our wavelength
Message 189 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Yes I have it on full energy burning mode Smiley Happy

Will double check later.

0 Kudos
Slice
On our wavelength
Message 190 of 234
Flag for a moderator

OK seems it was on Connected Low Power bah, so I set it to always on.  Seems OK so far last day or so but I am trying to also turn the TV on first, or at least quickly as TIVO starts.

0 Kudos