Menu
Telco_Engineer
Tuning in
Message 91 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 black screen bug?

OK Digging deeper - 

1) Have VM accepted responsibility for the issue ? If so - where does it say that ?

2) Is the problem indeed HDCP 2.2 Compliance ? How many people are having issues with an HDCP 2.2 compliant TV connected directly to the V6 Box ?

3) HDCP 2.2 - I have my VM V6 connected via HDMI to my TX-NR579 which does not support HDCP 2.2 and I get the sound but no picture issue, but if I connect directly to the TV I get both sound and picture. 

I contacted Onkyo Support and this was their reply -

"Thank you for your enquiry.

The TX-NR579 is an earlier 2011 model which is not HDCP 2.2 compatible.

The only workaround might be to connect directly to the television for picture and then from the television use the HDMI ARC option, if supported, or connect an optical lead from the television back to the amplifier to pass through the audio."

Whilst this is a workaround it involves using 2 HDMI cables rather than 1 and retains surround sound and picture.

the only other alternative is to go and spend another £350 on a later AVR which supports HDCP2.2

If the issue is compatibility between HDCP and the V6 - then it is outside of the hands of VM who are complying with 4K security standards whether or not they be the tool to make us upgrade equipment.

If it is not the HDCP2.2 compliance then the owness is on VM to correct the issue.

A call to Richer Sounds further confirmed that the issue is HDCP 2.2 but of course they did want to sell me a nice AVR.

So what we really need to be focusing on is whether or not this issue is due to HDCP2.2 - Thats the question that needs answering.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 92 of 234
Flag for a moderator

If you look at it from another direction, If Virgins implementation was wrong but all 4K TV's and boxes stuck to the standard no 4k TV would work

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 93 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Let's hope we get some feedback soon from VM or I can see a lot of customers moving on
0 Kudos
Telco_Engineer
Tuning in
Message 94 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Yes - if I understood you correctly that would be the case.
So if all 4K HDCP compliant TV's work then I hate to say that it may not be VM's fault so long as their implementation is indeed correct.

Only way for me to test this is to buy a new AVR !! I wonder if Richer Sounds would support a trial.....
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 95 of 234
Flag for a moderator

An earlier comment from someone at VM did say it was an issue with them though so let's see what they have to say
0 Kudos
Telco_Engineer
Tuning in
Message 96 of 234
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:
An earlier comment from someone at VM did say it was an issue with them though so let's see what they have to say

Do you have a link to that statement ?

Reason I ask is that I have just connected another 4K box from a different company and when set to 2160P I get no picture.

when I set it to 1080P I get a picture indicating that the issue is indeed HDCP2.2 compliance and that it affects all brands.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 97 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Telco_Engineer wrote:

anthony_b wrote:

Do you have a link to that statement ?

Reason I ask is that I have just connected another 4K box from a different company and when set to 2160P I get no picture.

when I set it to 1080P I get a picture indicating that the issue is indeed HDCP2.2 compliance and that it affects all brands.

I think the only "it's our fault" statement you will find is one of the forum staff posting that we are receiving reports of such issues from some customers , so we are asking our IT guys to look into it and collecting information to pass on to them. Not a straight-up mea culpa

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 98 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Page 3 of this section from Kath and also something on page 6
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 99 of 234
Flag for a moderator

anthony_b wrote:
Page 3 of this section from Kath and also something on page 6

to save folks having to hunt:

page 3:

The issue is logged and we are working on a permanent fix so fingers crossed I'll have more news on this soon. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
 I dont have a page 6 - !
0 Kudos
Telco_Engineer
Tuning in
Message 100 of 234
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but that doesn't constitute an admissal of responsibility

I really think VM need to make a clear statement on the nature of the issue and ensure their customer base is clear on whether it is HDCP or a fault.

For me after testing a separate 4K receiver and getting a similar problem it's HDCP for now but I need to run more tests
0 Kudos