Menu
SimonPetrou
Joining in
Message 51 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 and Slingbox wont work together ! ! !

Hi Allan,

my setup is still working great.

regards

Simon

@thompa wrote:

Simon et al,

Is your set-up still working?

Back in January, my set-up which is almost exactly the same as yours and which had been working flawlessly for about 3 years,  stopped working while we were away from home and the Slingbox!

I am now home and see the red light on the HDMI-Component adapter flashing. I contacted the supplier of the converter and they sent another... and the light on that is flashing too! I tried connecting the HDMI lead from the converter directly into the Tivo, bypassing the powered splitter - but it doesn't work.

I guess the flashing light on the converter shows it is not working... but I am at a loss to understand why. Can the first unit be faulty, and the second one also?

I did read somewhere Virgin had added software to the Tivo to prevent splitting of the signal.. but I haven't had that confirmed yet.

Hope you can help, by letting me know if your set-up is working. Hopefully it is and I can just buy another Converter!

regards,

Allan Thompson

0 Kudos
SimonPetrou
Joining in
Message 52 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Hi Allan,

forgot to ask if you have considered whether it may be the actual sling box that has packed up. This happened to me after a couple of years of use and when I replaced the sling box with a second hand one I bought in EBay it worked fine again.

regards

simon

0 Kudos
gbjbasdw
Tuning in
Message 53 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Why didn't you get a new V6 from Virgin ? Was it because you weren't sure if it was the V6 at fault ?

I am surprised that a second hand box worked. I would have assumed that the physical box was somehow linked to your account at the Virgin end - a bit like the old viewing cards that used to be in the old boxes.

Cheers,

Steve
0 Kudos
BinghamBloke
Knows their stuff
Message 54 of 62
Flag for a moderator

@gbjbasdw wrote:
Why didn't you get a new V6 from Virgin ? Was it because you weren't sure if it was the V6 at fault ?

I am surprised that a second hand box worked. I would have assumed that the physical box was somehow linked to your account at the Virgin end - a bit like the old viewing cards that used to be in the old boxes.

Cheers,

Steve

He means got a new Slingbox from eBay as they can be hard to come by now.

I've been hesitating now I've been forced into 2 V6 I've not converted to HDMI as it's an old scart version sling

0 Kudos
gbjbasdw
Tuning in
Message 55 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Stupid me -of course he does - too early on a Saturday !

I have 2 x Slingboxes - an old Classic grey brick and a newer SlingboxHD.

I connect the V6 HDMI output to a HDMI to COMPOSITE ( not component ) converter and then used that as input to the Slingboxes. HOWEVER the old Classic would only seem to output a black and white picture to the Slingplayer program on the PC but the newer Slingbox HD worked ok. It isn't an issue with the Slingbox Classic because when I use the scart output from my Humax Freesat scart into the Classic it works fine i.e. colour picture. Very odd !

Before anyone points out that component converters are better quality than composite - thanks but I know that already.
Anyway hope that helps you decide.
0 Kudos
SimonPetrou
Joining in
Message 56 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Like you I have 2 virgin boxes the old Tivo and the newer v6 box.

I have M1 Slingboxes connected to both.

the older TiVo has the VGA ports so is quite easy to install and maintain a sling box and has much less cabling.

the V6 needs both a powered hdmi splitter and a powered hdmi to VGA converter. It is to be honest a pain as it means lots of cables and extra sockets to run them. 

I have had various slingboxes on both for over 10 years and find that they seem to last around 4-5 years then pack up so just keep an eye out for this.

If you have to replace your sling box I have noticed that it is now difficult to register sn older version and the M1 seemed to have the easiest pairing recognition 

Regards

simon

0 Kudos
thompa
Dialled in
Message 57 of 62
Flag for a moderator

I was away abroad when the offer from Virgin to upgrade to a 'new' V6 came and although I preserved the email - they said I was 'out of time' when eventually, we returned home and I called!

The problem I am having could well be the Slingbox. The M1 I have is the third. I had the Pro HD, then the 350 before the M1.

I'll have to check eBay!

Allan

0 Kudos
thompa
Dialled in
Message 58 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Update....

The new Slingbox M1 arrived - great deal off Amazon at £50 and the issue is not the Slingbox !

Interestingly, the Slingbox came with a Scart to Composite converter and I connected that up, bypassing the HDMI to Component device and ''bingo' it worked. 

Can only be the HDMI to Component converter which must be blocking the HDMI (HDCP?) signal.

Does anyone have recommendations?

Allan

0 Kudos
ynysygwas
On our wavelength
Message 59 of 62
Flag for a moderator

I don't know if this will help but I'll share what I've learned, mainly by trial and error!

I have 1 x M1 and 1 x 350 box connected to 2 V6s and 2 x M1s connected to 1 x Tivo. All are working via powered Hdmi to component convertors connected to powered splitters. 

I did discover that it made a difference which of the splitter hdmi outs was connected to the Slingbox. The tvs works fine with either but the Slingboxes only work with the first hdmi out.

I did notice there is no point trying to set the V6s or Tivo to 1080p as that output never works when converted to component.

Also I noticed things would sometimes stop working as I'd somehow reset the video output to automatic and the box had 'upped' the output to match my new TV. When at 1080p I noticed the picture was fine on the TV but was missing a third on the Slingplayer. This became ok once I changed the V6 output to 1080i  not automatic. I suspect that the box may revert to automatic if the power goes off and it restarts.

From the Tivo I have a couple of M1 boxes where the hdmi goes to the component converter directly then I daisy chained the boxes using the component in/out ports and watch the TV in 560p, via the component rgb input. I did originally have it working with a hdmi splitter, one to tv and the other to the component converter. As it only allowed a watchable 560p to go to the tv hdmi I thought I may as well just daisy chain the component output from the second M1 box to the tv. The picture looks much the same to me and the tv now has both hdmi sockets free.

My Tivo hdmi will not output anything above 560p that gives a decent picture through the slingbox. The tivo will give a picture of sorts at 1080i converted to component but it is very poor quality without sound. The V6 will give a good quality picture at 1080i in the same setup. So my tivo box seems to have an inferior hdmi output signal when compared to the V6 boxes. I have tried different cables without any improvement. 560p seems the best. 

This was never an issue when I was using a hdmi to composite convertor, presumably as it is only SD. Another little quirk I found was that occasionally I did get 1080p to work but it only worked on SD tv channels. As soon as I switched from BBC1 to BBC1 HD the picture lost sound and started to break up. I can only guess that the little bits of data needed to supply HD were too messed up to give all the information needed to produce a picture at the other end.

Handily both M1 boxes can watch the same Tivo channel from different locations with one being a view only user.  I'm now considering trying to daisy chain another Slingbox onto one of the other boxes. Perhaps a cheap Sling Solo from ebay, not connecting the ir transmitter to make another view only box. Using component video also takes hdcp out of the equation.

The other thing with hdmi is that sometimes it really is a case of switching everything off and back on again. And, of course, not all splitters and converters do what it says on the box, which is why I've got quite a collection of them by now!

0 Kudos
thompa
Dialled in
Message 60 of 62
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for that detailed response!

Of course, when you are located close to the Slingbox, it is not a huge issue - but when in another country it really is frustrating!

I have now installed 'smart plugs' on our Tivo as well as the HDMI to Component' converter and the HDMI splitter. I found, to my cost, that if there is a power cut, they all don't just reboot and work... and I have had situations where the Tivo freezes and neighbours have been pressed into action to reboot it, although I did once persuade a Virgin operator to do it remotely...

Thanks again for your descriptions.

Allan

0 Kudos