Menu
amoltu
Joining in
Message 41 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 and Slingbox wont work together ! ! !

I've got it (M1) working to an extent using an HDMI splitter and HDMI to scart converter, however the left hand edge f the image is chopped off and a gap at the right side..

Tried it without the splitter (directly into the V6 box) and the same occurs.

Thought it might be the HDMI to scart converter, however I plugged this into my Sky box and Slingbox works fine.

All a bit strange. What should I set the output on the virgin box to be?

What options should I use on the Sling set up - used TiVo as there isn't a V6 option?

Andy

0 Kudos
mrposh
Joining in
Message 42 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Given my issues (only getting sound) I have purchased alternative HDMI cables, RCA cables, HDMI Splitter and RCA converter - SURELY IT WILL WORK THIS TIME!!!!  Will report back

0 Kudos
gbjbasdw
Tuning in
Message 43 of 61
Flag for a moderator

This just gets odder by the minute !

I have 2 Slingboxes - a Classic and a Pro HD.

When I connect the V6 box HDMI output directly ( i.e. no splitters etc. ) to the HDMI2AV converter box then connect it ( yellow/white/red ) to the Pro HD Slingbox it works fine in Slingplayer on my PC

BUT

when I connect the HDMI2AV converter to the old Classic Slingbox I get a picture in Slingplayer but it is in black and white and a bit grainy. The sound is fine.

I tried a different composite AV source ( Humax Freesat box ) into the Classic Slingbox and it worked just fine - colour picture and sound. 

I have to conclude therefore that the PAL AV signal from the HDMI2AV converter is in some way not compatible with the Classic Slingbox.

Has anyone else managed to get an HDMI2AV converter and a Slingbox Classic working together ?

Oh how I wish the folks at Virgin had enabled scart output on the V6 !!

Steve

0 Kudos
Insideinfo
Joining in
Message 44 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Just to be clear on these matters, to get the best results you need both a POWERED HDMI splitter (one HDMI IN and two OUT) and a POWERED HDMI to COMPONENT converter (red, green and blue for video and red and white for audio) . You can use a powered HDMI to COMPOSITE  converter (scart or RCA white, yellow and red), but the picture quality through the Slingbox (any model) will be MUCH poorer than using component and since all recent Slingbox models (can't confirm this for Slingboxes prior to the PRO HD) have component IN connections as well as composite, there is no reason at all to use the composite unless you are connecting to two different devices such as a Tivo/V6 AND another device such as a Freeview box or a DVR.

An HDMI lead should be connected between the Tivo or V6 HDMI OUT and the HDMI splitter IN. A second HDMI lead should be connected from one of the HDMI OUT sockets on the converter to your TV and a third HDMI lead should be connected between the other HDMI OUT socket on the converter to the HDMI IN socket on the  POWERED HDMI to COMPONENT converter. Finally you need to connect the 5 output connections on the component converter to the component input sockets on the Slingbox. The splitter and converter must both be permanently powered ON.

I use 2 Slingbox Pro HD's, two Slingbox M1's, six Slingcatchers and two Amazon Firesticks around the world with the above configuration and have never had any problems.

Using any unpowered splitters or converters WILL NOT WORK.

Keep on plugging!

0 Kudos
SimonPetrou
Joining in
Message 45 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steve,

I have had mine working fine for 6 months now. I have Slingbox Pro which is working fine off the new V6 box.

If you go back to my orginal posts in this thread back in October I set out how I got mine working and it has been working ever since.

There was also a diagram that was posted a few weeks after mine which showed how to set everything up.

I use it every day so cant say that I have any issues with it.

Just make sure all the cables are of good quality and nice and tight and make sure that the HDMI splitter ox and the HDMI to VGA Converter box are both powered and working.

As said mines been going strong for 6 months now.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
amoltu
Joining in
Message 46 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Both of mine are powered,will try with component rather than composite when it arrives.
The odd thing is the exact same set up (Powered HDMI splitter, powered hdmi to scart connected tot he scart composite connector supplied with the M1) works fine with my Sky+HD box, yet the left hand edge of the image is off the edge of the screen and doesn't reach the R side of the screen in sling player (Windows, Android or ipad) when plugged into the V6 box.
Tinkered with the video settings and image layout of the slingbox with no benefit.
0 Kudos
gbjbasdw
Tuning in
Message 47 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Firstly using component connection is NOT an option on the Slingbox Classic - this box only has composite and video-s inputs. The video-s input is working fine by the way.

As I said before I am NOT using a splitter. I unplugged the HDMI from the TV and plugged it into the HDMI2AV converter.

The issue is when I plug the HMDI2AV output component cables (3 x RCA Male to male ) into the Pro HD - Slingplayer on the PC works fine. When I plug the composite cables into the Classic box ( 3.5mm to 3 x male RCA)  I get a black and white picture but sound is fine. I wondered if it was a problem with the 3.5mm to 3 x male RCA cable that is used with the Classic but this it NOT the case since it worked ok with a different source device ( Humax Freesat )

The HDMI2AV converted is powered on throughout the test and when unplugged I get NO picture in Slingplayer so that is not the issue here.

It seems to be some difference with the output from the HDMi2AV vs the "normal" PAL output from say my Freesat box. 50/60 Hz a possibility ?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 48 of 61
Flag for a moderator

I don't know about Slingbox but it's a general rule that ancient devices can be troublesome in our digital age, so I'm not surprised that you have a problem with an HDMI to composite converter going into to a Classic box with neither supporting 576i50.

It seems to me that it's best to use just the Pro HD with an HDMI to component converter.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
amoltu
Joining in
Message 49 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Cracked it.

Changed the video output settings on the box to the 1080 with pass through and all fine.

0 Kudos
thompa
Dialled in
Message 50 of 61
Flag for a moderator

Simon et al,

Is your set-up still working?

Back in January, my set-up which is almost exactly the same as yours and which had been working flawlessly for about 3 years,  stopped working while we were away from home and the Slingbox!

I am now home and see the red light on the HDMI-Component adapter flashing. I contacted the supplier of the converter and they sent another... and the light on that is flashing too! I tried connecting the HDMI lead from the converter directly into the Tivo, bypassing the powered splitter - but it doesn't work.

I guess the flashing light on the converter shows it is not working... but I am at a loss to understand why. Can the first unit be faulty, and the second one also?

I did read somewhere Virgin had added software to the Tivo to prevent splitting of the signal.. but I haven't had that confirmed yet.

Hope you can help, by letting me know if your set-up is working. Hopefully it is and I can just buy another Converter!

regards,

Allan Thompson

0 Kudos