cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 and Samsung Universal Remote

kylbnkn
Tuning in

Hi all,

I've just purchased a new Samsung smart TV (Samsung UE65RU7400) and I'm trying to figure out how to use the universal remote with the V6.

The TV can see the V6 as an HDMI source, but when setting up the remote it asks if I can change the channel of the box... long story short, no, I can't. Any ideas? 

Thanks!

33 REPLIES 33

Thank you once again.

Tried all of your suggestions.  Samsung have said it's definitely not a problem on their side.

I've been looking at the V6 box again. Ive managed to get the virgin remote to control the smart tv volume and power, but have been unable to set up the universal remote (it did work for a week). 

The Samsung remote was controlling apps on the xbox as well,but this has now stopped working as well.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Hello!

Can you tell me which HDMI cable you bought? Im startto think that the 4k hdmi cable from amazon for £10 is still inferior.

Thank you

@Huwger wrote:

Thank you once again.

Tried all of your suggestions.  Samsung have said it's definitely not a problem on their side.

I've been looking at the V6 box again. Ive managed to get the virgin remote to control the smart tv volume and power, but have been unable to set up the universal remote (it did work for a week). 

The Samsung remote was controlling apps on the xbox as well,but this has now stopped working as well.

Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

.....if the smart remote has stopped working with Xbox as well as the V6 then there's a 99% likelihood that it has developed a fault (especially if it was working before and you have tried all the trouble shooting steps).

I wouldn't have thought changing HDMI leads would make any difference.

Obvious question but does the smart remote still work on just the tv - i.e. does it change the tv volume and control the smart menu and its apps? 

Also, in your very first post, you state the following:

"The TV can see the V6 as an HDMI source, but when setting up the remote it asks if I can change the channel of the box... long story short, no, I can't."

Does the tv give any error messages at all? Do you get an on screen message which says 'No Signal' ?

If the remote  NO longer work works with the tv then it could have become unpaired - follow this guide to re-pair :

https://forums.tomsguide.com/faq/how-to-pair-up-your-samsung-smart-tv-with-the-remote.182981/

@Huwger wrote:

Hello!

Can you tell me which HDMI cable you bought? Im startto think that the 4k hdmi cable from amazon for £10 is still inferior.

Thank you

...there's no difference in a £10 4K HDMI cable vs a £100 4K HDMI cable - its just a marketing gimmick.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide

That’s not strictly true on the HDMI. It’s not price related, it’s quality related. Having just installed 15 commercial displays, I can assure you it’s pot luck about how they work depending on what signals you’re sending.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-all-HDMI-cables-are-the-same

For info, I’m using 3 5m cables from Screwfix. The introduction of these immediately sorted the issue. If I plug in my old 3m random cable from a box of old cables, the issue starts again. Being that no other settings have changed on the TV, it is fair to say this is a HDMI issue (at least in my case.)

@kylbnkn wrote:

That’s not strictly true on the HDMI. It’s not price related, it’s quality related. Having just installed 15 commercial displays, I can assure you it’s pot luck about how they work depending on what signals you’re sending.

https://www.quora.com/Is-it-true-that-all-HDMI-cables-are-the-same

For info, I’m using 3 5m cables from Screwfix. The introduction of these immediately sorted the issue. If I plug in my old 3m random cable from a box of old cables, the issue starts again. Being that no other settings have changed on the TV, it is fair to say this is a HDMI issue (at least in my case.)

...glad you got it sorted in the end. 

As long as the HDMI cable is 'high speed' and you're using it at a fair distance, then they're all virtually the same, if you're just sending TV signals.

🙂

Hello. I bought this TV and have the exact same problem. I set the TV up on Sunday and universal remote worked flawlessly and I was able to set up my Virgin V6 box with no issues. We noticed at some point this week the samsung remote stopped working with Virgin, everything else is fine, just obviously there is an issue between the TV and the V6 box.

Weird both out remotes stopped working with the V6 at pretty much the same time? Have tried resetting the channel set up but it just gets stuck on channel up, channel down.

Will try some of the suggestions here I haven't already, please let me know if you get a solution.

did you ever find a solution? Mine still nor working

Hi Huwger

Thanks for posting and apologies for the delayed reply. 

this remote guide should help 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hello,

That thread explains how to get the virgin remote controlling the Samsung tv. I want it the other way round!!! It worked for a week before failing.  Tried resetting everything and Samsung claim it's not their fault.

Any ideas warmly welcomed!!