Menu
kenkelso
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V6 & Wifi

VM are offering me an upgrade from a Tivo to a V6 box. One of the questions they ask is if the Hub 3.0 and the V6 will be within 3m of the wall box. They're not (Tivo/V6 downstairs, Hub upstairs). If I answer No to that question, they want to charge £30 for an engineer visit to do something.

Should I just lie and say Yes? Can I connect the V6 to the Hub over Wifi?

0 Kudos
ozsat
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 & Wifi

You still have to have the signal/RF lead connected to both V6 boxes even if one or both connects to the hub via wifi.

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS & UHD/HDR)
VIVID 500 (500/35mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD + 2 minis)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
kenkelso
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I knew that. It's this statement on the website that concerns me: "Your First Virgin TV box and your Hub needs to be located within 3 metres of your other Virgin Media wall socket.". Is that really true?

I have 1 wall socket upstairs for the Hub and 1 downstairs for the Tivo.Can I replace the Tivo with a V6, leave the Hub where it is, and use Wifi to connect V6 to Hub?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The configuration you want is exactly what I have.

It does rely, however, on there being a strong, stable WiFi signal at the site of the V6, preferably on the 5GHz band.

It may be that the engineer install requirement is to ensure the internet connection is suitable and provide powerline adapters if the WiFi is not good enough.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos