Menu
Highlighted
andymccreddie
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

V6 Tivo Box Connection

I've recently taken delivery of my new V6 box and new router. I have moved my old TV box to another part of the house, where the old Virgin box was. I've duly connected them by ethernet via powerline plugs, that work well throughout my house for all other connections. Inititially everything was fine and both boxes were visible to each other. After some days the connection was lost. I have now several times reset both the router and the powerline plugs, which temporarily restores the visibility. I have also tried connecting the V6 box wirelessly, which also temporarily restores the connection. The V6 box is always visible to the Tivo box, but the visibility of the Tivo box keeps dropping off. I think I've tried all possible solutions to no avail - ideas, solutions please.  

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Tivo Box Connection

Check your hub's speed with a wired connection in case there is a problem.

Also, I think it's probably best not to use powerline for both boxes.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
andymccreddie
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I can check the hub's wired speed. I have already tried having one with a wireless connection and it only maintains that temporarily. What I have found is that however, the connection is reset, i.e. with powerline adapters or resetting the either one of the boxes a full connection is restored but only temporarily.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Louise_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi andymccreddie

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting.

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing some issues with the connection of the V6 box at the moment.

Is the V6 box connected by Ethernet direct into the Hub or a Powerline?

Is the Hub in the same room as the V6? When you do a wireless connection can you run a speed test on the V6 box to see if the connection is good?

Let us know how you get on.

Take care 

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
andymccreddie
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Louise,

The V6 box is connected directly to the hub, only inches away and yes the hub and the V6 box are in the same room.

I can do a speed test on the hub wirelessly which is running today (normally faster) at 58Mbps,  not sure how to do a speed test on the V6, but according to the "Network Connection" page in settings the signal strength is reported as 100% (excellent).

Also, if it assists, whenever I do some sort of reset either the Powerline plugs or either of the boxes or even change from wired to wireless the connection will re-establish itself for varying amounts of time and then drop off. Could also it be the speed of the Powerline plugs which are Solwise Mini 200AV, which are said to run up to 200Mbps. Later versions run at 500Mbps and are power through and filtered. Everything else in the house works well using these.

KRs Andy

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy

Thank you for getting back to me with this information.

If you remove the Powerlines how long does the connection last for? Can you run a speed test through the V6 box while it is on a wireless connection to do this go to:

• Home
  • Help and Settings
  • Help
  • Other Products
  • Broadband
  • Take a speed test

Do you get a message to say the connection is good for tv services? Do you know if your connecting to the 2g or 5g networks?

Speak soon

Louise

Forum Team

New around here? Find out more about the Community by checking our "Getting started guide"

0 Kudos
andymccreddie
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Louise,

If the powerlines are disconnected neither box is visible to the other immediately.changed the primary powerline plug to a new 500Mbps unit, which hasn't helped much. I will try and explain the setup and what happens in a little more detail. The V6 box is connected directly to the hub and is named "Special Room". The hub is also connected directly to the TV's Ethernet socket and to the primary 500Mbps powerline plug. The old Tivo box is in the adjacent room and is named "Dining Room" The old Tivo box cannot be connected wirelessly, so is dependent on the powerline 200Mbps Ethernet connection.

When they are both connected via the powerline plugs Dining Room can see Special Room and all the recorded programmes are accessible. However, Special Room sees Dining Room, but it is greyed out. This does not differ if I connect Special Room wirelessly.

In answer to your questions, by looking into the router settings the V6 box is running on 2.4g when connected wirelessly and the speed is good for TV service.

My current thinking is that the problem probably lies in the powerline connection, despite all being well at first.

Many thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Andy

Thank you for getting back to me and my apologies for the late reply.

I have been looking into this with the team for you and we can see everything is showing as it should be and you have it all set up correctly so you should not be getting this issue.

I would like to arrange for a member of our team to come and have a look into this for you. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Speak Soon

Louise

Forum Team

0 Kudos
andymccreddie
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Problem eventually handed over to Virgin engineer who replaced my old Tivo box with a second V6 - all working well now. It would appear that the V6 box and my old Tivo box were just reluctant friends.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi andymccreddie

Thanks for coming back and letting us know things are resolved now. I'm glad to hear the engineer was very helpful.
If you have any further issues you know where to find me. 
In the meantime, don't be a stranger around the Community! Feel free to browse through the Boards and jump into a thread if you have any advice or tips that may be of use to others.
Take care

Louise

Forum Team

0 Kudos