cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 TV CHANNELS MOVED OR CHANGED

ALF28
Super solver

Some TV Channels seem to have been altered recently,

Channels affected 139 sky scifi now 122, 149 horror channel now renamed legend in line with freeview channel  41 and  192 is horror extra-channel off air only  after 17.00 time, 165 sky arts now 140, 

There may be more changes, I did not see any warnings that channels were to be altered.

I also find it confusing why many channels have two versions, for example sky arts 140 and sky arts 123 HD and both do work on my mix tv tv package, but I always though I did not have HD as I had the fun package that is now mix tv, so I presume the reason is for non HD Tv's or HD Tv but most modern Tv's are HD. I can not tell the difference.

Does recording in HD use up more space on the Tv box disc ?, if so I would always choose the normal non -HD version , I see I have a mixture of both,

I have checked the guide which confirms these changes-23/11/2022

Virgin TV Channel guide | Virgin Media

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There has been a re-jig of some SD/HD channel variants this week, which was well-advertised on TiVo, V6 & TV360 boxes in advance of happening.

In many cases, the SD version has now been removed and replaced with HD versions, and the HD versions reduced from upper-TV-tiers to allow for this.

Yes, HD uses more disc space but is fast becoming the norm - and an HD recording uses similar storage space to what SD used before the MPEG4 changes a few years back.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There has been a re-jig of some SD/HD channel variants this week, which was well-advertised on TiVo, V6 & TV360 boxes in advance of happening.

In many cases, the SD version has now been removed and replaced with HD versions, and the HD versions reduced from upper-TV-tiers to allow for this.

Yes, HD uses more disc space but is fast becoming the norm - and an HD recording uses similar storage space to what SD used before the MPEG4 changes a few years back.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Check system info which shows how much free disk space is available and how many hours of recording you can make in either HD or SD.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for the tip,

My system info shows a recording capacity of 120 hours HD or 523 hours for SD, so recording using SD provides 403 extra hours which is huge, but some SD channels are being removed ? which is a shame.

As my disc is 97% full I have 2 hours for HD and 9 hours for SD, so I need to clean out some recordings probably the e xmas films I recorded.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The vast majority of broadcasters do not want to pay to simulcast two versions of a channel when only one is needed. The same is occurring on satellite now as the BBC are changing from SD regional feeds to HD. ITV have already removed some of their SD regions.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11670659/Millions-Britons-lose-access-BBC-channels-y... 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993