cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Sound drops randomly

mattt586
Tuning in

Hi,

I've had my v6 for 12 months now and im still suffering with this stupid sound dropping issue and nobody sorts it. I've been offered a new box but tht would be my THIRD one. ts not a faulty v6 its a fault with ALL v6's looking at all the posts on this issue.

I have paid over £1200 for the last 12 months TV and had to put up with this issue. How is that acceptable? I'm sure SKY don't have this issue. As EVERY other device I plug into my TV works a treat.

I can now leave to go to Sky now if I want. It may cost me more but it might be worth it if you are never going to fix this issue!. Also they have plenty of HD films available and virgins line up is a joke. I find myself streaming online more as they are better quality!!!.

Are you going to address this issue or not???

TRIED ALL THE USUAL, NEW CABLES ETC. ITS 100% THE BOX AND TRIED 2 BOXES!!

Thanks

Matt

92 REPLIES 92

@dante01 wrote:

"Had random problems since my new install on my 4K Atmos TV and soundbar setup, the most persistent being this 1 second audio drop out problem on Dolby feeds. Have now sorted all issues by buying a set of "8k" HDMI leads off of amazon, 3 for £20. seems the 4k Ethernet HDMI cables supplied were not good enough. new cables i bought say they are 48GBps and as I say have fixed all my issues, including a weird video output issue that turned the picture blue or showed nothing at all"

You've basically wasted your money on cables you don't need with abilities you cannot exploit.

Older devices predating HDMI version 2.1 cannot benefit from the additional bandwith associated with 8K video cables. The older HDMI version 2.0 chipsets are limited to just 18Gbps and connot utilise the 2 additional wires within the aforementione UKTRA cables associated with HDMI 2.1 that allow a cable to convey 48Gbps. Cables earmarked as 48Gbps. ULTRA HDMI and or 8K are utterly pointless if used in a setup devoid of HDMI 2.1 equipped hardware. You only get the additional bandwidth if one HDMI version 2.1 equipped device is connected to another HDMI version 2.2 device.

Also note that the V6 box itself has an inherant fault that causes the audio dropouts and it isn't a cable issue. I'd surmise the issue is hardware based as opposed to being an issue with the software or the firmware  I suggest this because Virgin do appear to be aware of the issue and the issue has been present for some considerable time, yet Virgin haven't or cannot rectify it. The issue probably hasn't even been reported to the division within Liberty Global in charge of hardware precurement and supply of the STBs. If not then they aren't passing the problem back to the manufacturer who be the only party to be able to resolve the issue. I'd also sumise that Liberty wont ideally want to have to start replacing the faulty boxes with ones that have had the issue addressed at a hardware level.

To elaborate, I'm a well respected AV enthusiast who has had this issue for over 4 years. Over this period I've had 2 V6 STB, 3 TVs, 2 AV receivers and tried multiple HDMI cables that have no issue with any other device they are used with and regardless of whatever changes have been made to my setup, the issue persists.

Ah ok, in which case, why is the problem immediately fixed once I use different hdmi cables? No setting changes, just a swap of provided wires with other ones!?! 

Hi Wi11iams,

I am with dante01 on this. If you think you have fixed it with a new HDMI, just wait. I have had the problem since the V6 box was released. Virgin admitted it was a known problem a good few years ago and as dante01 says, this appears to be a fundamental hardware issue as several firmware/software updates have occurred since then and none have resolved the issue. I have also had it with different V6 boxes, different 4K TVs from Panasonic and Sony, different 4K AV amps and different HDMI cables.

The problem does not occur on any other 4K device inputs I have, for example Shield TV, UHD Bluray, Amazon Fire etc. The HDMI cables that work fine on those devices are the same I use for the V6 box.

I do not believe it will be fixed until there is a V7 box or whatever the replacement hardware will be called.

Regards,

Tony

Ah ok, in which case, why is the problem immediately fixed once I use different hdmi cables? No setting changes, just a swap of provided wires with other ones!?! 

I'd suggest it more a matter of the other cables not being that good as opposed to it being due to the potential additional bandwidth abilities associated with the cables you switched to. You will have probably had as much success with good quality HIGH SPEED cables costing you less than you had with the 8K cables. You on;y get the additional bandwidth abilities associated with those cables if using HDMI version 2.1 equipment and if conveying either 8K or 4K120p video signals.

Maybe your issues were different to the dropouts most people are commonly enduring? Better cables don't resolve the issue being discussed and you definately dopn't need ULTRA HD 8K HDMI version 2.1 compliant cabling.

Dante01

Thanks a lot for your quick responses to my queries about this exact issue on the AV forum - I don't know how to reply on there because I'd never used it before!  

It's an absolute disgrace that Virgin have done nothing about this after such a long time. Though it's ridiculous to say so I am clearly one of the lucky victims of this problem as my sound doesn't drop in and out in the middle of something I'm watching but only(!)  if I switch between channels or from channels to recordings or sometimes when I first turn everything on.  Switching everything of and the on again solves the problem every time for a day or two but is there any quicker way than this of restoring the sound?  Barring miracles that is!

Just thought of a couple more questions.  Forgive me!

The very helpful guy on the Denon Helpline suggested connecting the HDMI cable from the V6 box directly to my TV and then using an optical audio cable to connect the TV to me Denon.  Has anyone tried this successfully?

Secondly , has no-one made a formal complaint to Virgin about this demanding that because they are unable/unwilling to resolve this problem then this should be compensated by a reduction in the cost of their service?  

As far as I can tell it has nothing to do with HDMI cables because I use an optical cable direct from the V6 box to my Panasonic home cinema system and I still get the sound drop outs. I think its only on HD channels though.

It is not a problem I have ever had with the V6 dispite using different amps - only a specific tv. It is not a general problem.

Can you post a few links showing the V6 issue with non-Denon kit to see if there is another pattern?

I've found that optical is also more prone to drop outs and does not offer the full spec that HDMI audio does.

A signal issue to the V6 can also cause drop-outs.

@mickbaker13 wrote:

Secondly , has no-one made a formal complaint to Virgin about this demanding that because they are unable/unwilling to resolve this problem then this should be compensated by a reduction in the cost of their service?  

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Ozsat

If you look a bit further back on this thread you will see posts by both Dante01 and tboman who are far better qualified than me in pointing out that this is a widespread problem.

Two people with issue is not widespread. One of them us using a Yamaha amp which is what I use sucessfully.

I not doubting that the V6 may have issue with some kit - but I've had V6 since launch and the sound drop-outs I claimed to VM were the V6 turned out to be a different device causing them.

I suggest if VM can't fix it then try SkyQ - but there are as many posts with the same issue in their forums - all saying it is only SkyQ.

Are you using HDMI direct from the V6 into the amp or via a device or switch box?

@mickbaker13 wrote:

Ozsat

If you look a bit further back on this thread you will see posts by both Dante01 and tboman who are far better qualified than me in pointing out that this is a widespread problem.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

There's no point in me getting into a technical debate for the simple reason I won't know what I'm talking about. But it is not just the 2 people I mentioned previously who have had this problem - I have seen posts by many others as well.

Even if I could get out of my Virgin contract Sky would be no good to me as it doesn't have all the sports channels I want.

HDMI goes direct from V6 to my amp.