cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V6 Software Using New Remote Control

Davflix
Tuning in

My old V6 Box recently broke down and the engineer yesterday has replaced it with a Duel V6/360 (software supported) Box.

VM won't allow me to upgrade to the new 360 software as they say that my discount deals have to end first. So I'm stuck in the V6 Software. The New Remote Control doesn't have the 'Thumbs Up' / 'Thumbs Down' Buttons, so I can't set up my Favourites or Improve my Suggestions. Is there and way to do this using the New Remote Control without these buttons? The Old remote control won't work on this box. 

Also not having the 'My Shows' and 'Clear' Buttons is really annoying and makes it much harder to use.  

Thank you for any help you can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This does not make any sense at all.

The Arris provided V6 boxes accept both TiVO & Horizon firmware, so the tech has just replaced like for like as your old one would also have been an Arris. If you have TiVO firmware installed you need a TiVO remote, not a V360 one, & there is a procedure to pair any TiVO remote to any V6, so unless the old remote itself is faulty it should work with your new box.

The new Humax boxes are V360 only. They won’t take TiVO firmware or remotes. Upgrading to 360 is voluntary, & is a one way process, so don’t upgrade unless you are fully committed to accepting the new firmware differences.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

ozsat
Superstar

What happened to the old remote?  You can phone for a replacement TiVo remote.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

I have the old remote control but the engineer said it is impossible to pair it with this new box as it only accepts the new remote.

I complained to VM today and they said that they have had a lot of complaints about this same issue... She did not know why Virgin haven't done anything about it or why this is allowed to continue happening. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Davflix wrote:

My old V6 Box recently broke down and the engineer yesterday has replaced it with a Duel V6/360 (software supported) Box

There's some confusion with terminology here.

You had a V6 (running TiVo software) and still have V6. All V6 are capable of accepting the TV360 software as and when you choose.

Until then, just use your old V6 remote with your replacement V6. Unless....

You've actually been replaced with a TV360 (pre-installed with Horizon software and therefore not a V6) but your account is still setup for TiVo/V6.

In which case you are no longer a V6 customer and have chosen to convert to TV360 already?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

This does not make any sense at all.

The Arris provided V6 boxes accept both TiVO & Horizon firmware, so the tech has just replaced like for like as your old one would also have been an Arris. If you have TiVO firmware installed you need a TiVO remote, not a V360 one, & there is a procedure to pair any TiVO remote to any V6, so unless the old remote itself is faulty it should work with your new box.

The new Humax boxes are V360 only. They won’t take TiVO firmware or remotes. Upgrading to 360 is voluntary, & is a one way process, so don’t upgrade unless you are fully committed to accepting the new firmware differences.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

No. Because I have active discount codes, I'm not allowed to have the upgrade to the 360 software. So the new box is still running the old V6 software but with the new remote control. Which doesn't have the thumbs up/down buttons on it. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Discount codes have never affected the ability of an individual account to convert from TiVo/V6 to 360 as far as I'm aware, and I doubt it's the underlying issue here.

1: If your box is a V6 running TiVo software, your old remote should still work.

2:If you've chosen to convert to TV360, it's no longer a V6

It sounds like you are in category 1.

The remote does not go with the box it goes with the software.

The V6/TiVo software uses one remote and when upgraded to the 360 software a different remote is required.

The new remote will not work until upgraded and the old remote will not work once upgraded.

Are you sure your box is a V6/TiVo and not and old standard TiVo which has yet another remote?

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Davflix 

You say the old remote with the thumbsup/down won't work on this new box.Try pairing it again with the new box.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/using-your-remote 

Has the TV interface changed? If so can you post a screenshot of your screen

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I wish you were in customer services then. Because they told me if I chose to upgrade I'd lose all my discount codes. And I've tried the old remote, it won't pair and This Box only works with the new remote it came with. But thanks for your help.