Menu
Highlighted
Tuppence1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V6 Resolution reset issues without V6 4K

Hi,

We have upgraded to Philips OLED from LED (VA) 4K panel. 

Because of the way the V6 box handles frame rate changes (covered on many posts), we stopped using the V6 as a source for any 4K / HDR content a long time ago, using Apple TV or HTPC instead via a (Panasonic Atmos / Dolby Vision certified) A/V amp.

On the new OLED panel, the TV has much improved native apps for Netflix / Prime Video in 4K HDR, so these are used instead of the alternative sources, with sound over ARC to the Amp.

This works as it did before, but now whenever we view something in 4K (Good Omens last night), the V6 box resets itself to 576p resolution, with only that option ticked when interrogating the settings. 

I tick the 1080p option and save, which then returns the box to a HD resolution, but then the TV settings have to be manually changed as the sudden change in output from the V6 has reset all of the picture settings (including ratio formatting) on the TV (to save the panel from unexpected inputs I assume).

The picture on this beautiful 55” OLED TV looks like it was rendered in a child’s primary paint class when reset to non-ISF ‘Vivid’ picture style (with original formatting) and connected to a V6 box outputting 576p with panel aspect ‘correction’. 

I have a sequence / macro on harmony remote that resets everything as it should be and it is over 40 steps long, only working with a 200ms pause between steps - a workaround, but extremely frustrating. 

What is going wrong on the V6 box that makes it so scared of delivering a working 4K solution for consumers? 

I have tried:

Ticking all of the resolution options and saving.

Ticking a selection of the above.

Connecting directly into the MHL and non-MHL HDMI inputs of the TV (with ARC passthrough to Amp.

Connecting directly into the MHL and non-MHL HDMI inputs of the TV (with no ARC -TV processing and speakers)

Every single time, the V6 box resets to 576p as soon as the TV input is switched back to HDMI-V6 from native App or HDMI-4KSOURCE. It is as if there are picture formatting components on the ARC channel!

Hypothesis is that the HDMI-V6 input is remaining ‘live’ when the panel FPS increases for 4K and this is causing the V6 to crash and reset its resolution settings to fail-safe. 

Interestingly (to some), if I use the A/V Amp as single source to the TV as s single HDMI input from Amp with V6 connected as ARC or non-ARC component, the system does not reset when switching from HDMI-V6 to HDMI-4KSOURCE, despite the identical parameter changes needed in resolution and frame rate.

This setup is less than ideal for a few reasons: The CEC priorities on the TV are terrible! It sees a ‘resting’ PS4PRO as the ‘live’ input, but never sees a wake up handshake from the V6. In addition, the TV GUI / UX is based around navigation of separate inputs for devices - of course, this shouldn’t ever be a problem with ARC or S/PDIF connections, but our V6 is certainly making a meal of it... b

Maybe this will all be resolved in the next S/W update, I’m on 20.8.1.RC11.VMB-11-C68 and see that there is a release 12 lurking, are there any release notes circulating? 

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated...

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Resolution reset issues without V6 4K

With the V6's video settings of 2160p and 2160p pass-through and with V6 --> amp --> (non-ARC) TV using high-speed HDMI cables, do you get any problems?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tuppence1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger,

We gave up trying to use the V6 in any 2160 mode as there was no way of letting the TV upscale a HD source - even when set to pass-through.

That was the first infuriating challenge with 4K, the picture looking so much better when V6 is set to 1080p (with TV upscaling) as opposed to any of the 2160 options - it required additional consumer devices to have reliable, wife-friendly interface management. 

Should I not get too excited about any impending S/W updates? 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You need to do some experimentation to find out why the V6 box resets itself to 576p resolution.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Tuppence1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I need to do some experimentation eh?

Much obliged, but I’m not sure how my original post suggests to you I have done no ‘experimentation’. My better half would disagree with you...

Apologies for not posting every permutation of resolution settings tested, but it has been exhaustive.

“...Ticking a selection of the above.”

The 4K resolutions act in the same manner, but with the disadvantage of additional post-processing discussed earlier. 

0 Kudos