Menu
Highlighted
harriesg
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V6 Intermittent Black Screen & No Sound

Hi

My V6 box seems to have developed an intermittent fault, where it will be fine for a few hours and then the screen will turn black and sound will be lost. This can be for anywhere between 1-5 seconds and on a couple of occasions my TV has displayed that it has lost connection with hdmi1 device.

I have tried switching out hdmi cables (all are high speed), have tried connecting my V6 to different hdmi ports on my tv and have tried disconnecting all other inputs to the tv to rule those out from causing the issue, but the problem continues. My V6 is connected direct to hdmi1 on the tv (Samsung 55UE6400), with a Blu-Ray player connected to the tv via hdmi2 and my Q Acoustics M2 AV is then connected to my tv via hdmi3 (ARC).

Reading through various posts on here, I have checked my signal strength on all tuners and they all read 91%, although my AGC signal strength is at 0% (I don't know if this should be so, I just included it as I noticed a few posts mentioned it).

Any advice would be much appreciated, as this is beginning to become a nuisance.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TobyTyler77
Dialled in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Intermittent Black Screen & No Sound

Here is how to fix your problem, while watching the V6 box enter your TV Picture menu on your Samsung TV, switch the current picture option to Game Mode, save, hey presto it's fixed, the Game Mode picture setting fools the tv into thinking the V6 box is a games console, which is also better for watching sport, there is no motion blur and a outstanding picture, make sure your Video settings on the V6 box are set to the correct one for your tv before applying the fix.

0 Kudos
harriesg
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Toby

Thanks for that suggestion. Does the problem therefore lie with the V6 box or tv?

I’ll be honest, I’m not keen on selecting Game Mode on my Samsung, as it isn’t a picture mode as such, it’s a toggle on/off within General —> External Device Manager and it states “Enable Game Mode for optimal speed when playing video games with a gaming console. Once enabled, there may be a slight decline in the graphics quality”. Also, when I do enable it, the brightness of the picture is hugely increased, which does not make for pleasant viewing.

Any other thoughts anyone?

Many thanks
Gareth
0 Kudos
TobyTyler77
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Don't listen to that, I've got a Samsung UE49MU7000 4K UHD TV, it works believe me, I've had it on that setting since Christmas, also if you watch Netflix through the V6 box try watching Bright the 4K movie on there in the Game Mode setting, it's stunning, and yes the V6 has a software problem that Virgin are aware of but have chosen to ignore, let me know how you get on, don't be scared to use my fix, it can't damage your tv.

0 Kudos
TobyTyler77
Dialled in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The picture settings can be adjusted in Game Mode, just turn down the Backlight and Contrast to suit your preference.

harriesg
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Not so much scared, as I know that won’t break the tv, more just frustrated that we have to fudge this.

I’ve given it a go and dialled down the backlight and contrast. I was pleased to find that if I take it back out of game mode it returns to the custom settings I was previously really pleased with (when the screen wasn’t black of course).

It would still be good to receive an official response from Virgin on here and hear what their plans are to address this known problem.
0 Kudos
harriesg
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Update: Having changed the setting to Game Mode I am unfortunately still experiencing the problem. It’s definitely less often, but is still a problem.

Anyone with any further ideas?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi harriesg,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your V6.

How has it been since posting? Are you still seeing intermittent issues with the picture on screen? Do you have any surround sound equipment connected to the box?

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
harriesg
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Josh

Sadly, yes I’m still having this problem. It is less frequent in Game Mode, but still does occur so not happy with this as a workaround.

It’s less a surround sound system and more a soundbase. It’s a Q Acoustics M2 and is connected to my tv via hdmi3 (ARC). I have already tried removing this to see if it makes a difference, but sadly not.

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Gareth
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'd like to send a technician to take a look at this for you. I've sent you a private message (purple envelope at the top right of your screen) so I can arrange an appointment.

Speak soon

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos