Menu
SteveD9
Tuning in
Message 21 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 HDCP error

Hi... you say there is a known issue and engineers are aware... well, tech support don't know, customer service don't know and I can't find a definition of exactky what is wrong or when it will be fixed ... who is correct on this matter ?
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 22 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Content and copy protection have been around for ages, some people will remember Macrovision from the mid-1980s when some VHS tapes were protected with this technology. Well, technology has marched on, and we now have HDCP 2.2 which is designed to protect 4k content by creating a secure connection between a source and a display with encrypted keys. As the V6 is a 4k box, Virgin Media has to comply. So, there is no fix that VM can provide if you want to watch 4k content, you will have to have your display (such as a TV or projector) and your amp/AV receiver to be all HDCP 2.2 compliant.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
SteveD9
Tuning in
Message 23 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Roger, I understand reason for 2.2 my concern is as follows;
Responses from Virgin in customer forum imply there is an issue.
I'm only watching ordinary content, nothing in 4k
A have a Denonamp which is 4k compliant and an epson projector that isn't ... when passing the signal thru Denon I get an error message, when going direct to epson, I do not ... which is causing the problem.... Denon refer to "ongoing and well documented 2.2 issues with the v6".... so where is the problem arising .
I don't want 4k output but something somewhere is pushing signal compliance to someone - just not sure who.
Until Birgin put out a definitive " there are no issue with v6 2.2" we are all left in the dark
Any suggestions ?
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 24 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I don't get your problem, but the only real difference is that my Onkyo AVR and my TV are both compliant to a version of HDCP which is earlier than 2.2. So, my 1080i content output from my V6 plays perfectly well through the AVR and onto the TV.

I have to wonder whether the V6 does an HDCP 2.2 handshake with the Denon and expects your projector to be also 2.2 compliant. This would explain your problem, which is most annoying as technology to protect 4k content is adversely impacting people who are not watching 4k content.

The reason why your projector works when connected directly to the V6 is because the V6 is able to do a handshake with a device which is compliant to a previous HDCP version. The problem you have occurs only when you introduce the middle man, the Denon. Some people have attempted to get around this by an HDMI splitter, which strips HDCP, between the V6 and amp, or use the HDFury Integral or Neet to convert HDCP 2.2 to 1.4, but success is very hit and miss.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 25 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Buy the little box described earlier in this thread, there is no engineering or VM solution possible
0 Kudos
SteveD9
Tuning in
Message 26 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Machineghost
That implies that v6 is not designed to work with many well know AVR boxes, a piece of kit required to make use of DD/ 5.1 output etc... someone somewhere is not understanding customer requirements when updating their kit ... apparently sky don't have this problem only virgin ... ???
If I use separate phono cable and hdmi for picture, I can't use a single AVR input selector
Response from Denon
Response By Email (Patrick) (26/10/2017 17:48)
Dear Sir (s)

Thank you for your response.

As HDMI is bi-directional different combinations of hardware and software can have adverse results on video display, especially with a repeater such an an AVR or AV amp in the equation. This can present even more advanced algorithms( Copyright protection etc ) to the source along with timing differences, however the source device should be able to solve these. IN some HDCP rules it is also not possible.

Like other manufacturers we have tested this scenario with other HDCP 2.2 set top box source devices and experienced no issues in place of the Virgin V6 box ( other well known competitors ).

We recommend contacting Virgin for further assistance in this particular case.
Apologies.
Sincerely,
Denon Support
Sound United
Customer By CSS Web (25/10/2017 18:09)
Hi thank you for your response but it seems to imply the issue is with the v6 box. However, it is clear from my tests that the v6 works with the epson with no 2.2 error and it is only the Denon that generates an incorrect error message ... please confirm the error is therefore with the amp
Thank you
Response By Email (Patrick) (25/10/2017 16:21)
Dear Sir (s)

Thank you for your inquiry.

This is a well documented issue with the Virgin V6 box. We have had this issue reported since October last year with several of our brands. Other manufacturers are too.

Sincerely,
DENON Customer Support
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 27 of 38
Flag for a moderator

SteveD9

I agree with you

If you see my earlier posts...I was completely flabbergasted...that my new V6 box, and my new Yamaha receiver could not send a signal to my old TV.

But all of my reading suggested that Sky has the same problem, and that the problem is imposed, that is, VM's machine can easily be programmed to solve this but that they won't because of HDCP guidelines. How HDCP impose this and why companies agree is a bit mysterious to me....but the little HDMI splitter box, passes a dolby signal using HDMI from my VM box to my receiver and I have video on my TV passed through the receiver now and I can select everything through the receiver remote.

so I think...if I have been following you....that you should be also helped by this....

0 Kudos
SteveD9
Tuning in
Message 28 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the follow up MG, I'll try the splitter and let you know
Cheers
0 Kudos
SteveD9
Tuning in
Message 29 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Splitter arrived and now I have output on my epson with Denon menus when I need them.... thanks
Shame Denon/Virgin can't resolve this themselves.... just also realised no w I can see Denon display that I'm only getting pcm on v6 so will post a question
0 Kudos
nick01972
Tuning in
Message 30 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I had the same problem (not with a Denon amp) and solution was to output the audio via optical cable.  It got me 5.1 sound but some channels were slightly out of sync.