Menu
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 HDCP error

Is there any way to keep the amp in the chain, since plugging V6 directly into the TV means having to constantly switch inputs on TV which is a nuisance, can i set HDCP on V6? Or on Amp?
0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 12 of 38
Flag for a moderator

So I think I understand the problem. But this is something that needs to be fixed since the new V6 needs to be able to output a signal to a non HDCP compliant tv since most TVs are such.

Is this something that you are working to fix?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 38
Flag for a moderator

All HD TVs with HDMI have to be HDCP compliant. That's not the issue. It's which version that the kit chain supports.

There are several ways that content can be set with HDCP 2.2 - see here https://www.digital-cp.com/sites/default/files/resources/HDCP%20Repeater%20Implementations.pdf

I believe that the Content Type on the V6 is set as 'Content Type 1' - this means that where there is a device that is HDCP 2.2 compliant within the HDMI chain, then the V6 will use that HDCP version, and is not allowed to re-encrypt to the older HDCP 1.x standard whilst the HDCP 2.2 device is in the HDMI chain.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 14 of 38
Flag for a moderator

What does it mean "not allowed".. it's a TV... so if I upgrade my TV it's allowed, if I plug directly in it's allowed? But if I use a compliant amp it's not allowed.... it's nuts... I think it should be "made allowed".. unreasonable rules should be changed
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 38
Flag for a moderator

From what I can see from the HDCP Wikipedia entry, older versions of HDCP are vulnerable, so when 2.2 was created by DCP, the extra 'Content Type' option was added so that it could be set so that only the versions of HDCP could be used that have the least risk of being vulnerable.

The effect of this means that if there is one device in the HDMI chain connected to the Virgin TV V6 that supports HDCP 2.2, then all other devices must also support HDCP 2.2.

So if your AMP supports HDCP 2.2. but your TV doesn't, or your TV does but AMP doesn't, both of those will generate a HDCP error.

This behaviour is baked into the HDCP standard, so it's not something that Virgin Media could change without breaking HDCP compliance.

Whether Virgin Media use 'Content Type 1' or 'Content Type 0' will also likely be part of the commercial agreements they have with Content Providers i.e. the CPs will want to ensure that Virgin Media are doing all technically can to prevent content being copied without permission.

machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 16 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I think I now understand and see how it is out of the hands of VM.

But perhaps I still don't see what this rule protects content from? If I plug my V6 directly into the tv, it works fine, but not if I include a HDCP compliant 2.2 component in the middle. What possible protection does this offer the content?

Since the box seems designed to send out signals with and without the new HDCP protocol, it also strikes me that this could be something that I could select in a menu item.

Minimally for 10 pounds I can purchase a splitter and produce the same result, so what is the actual value added?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I'm not saying the rules are helpful to consumers, but that's not who they're there for. HDCP is designed by the tech industry for content providers.Content protection is a game of cat and mouse.

The original one most people will have come across was Macrovision.

When HD first came out it was possible to use analogue HD component outputs to get a signal from a device to a TV. The first V+ HD box had these. The issue for content providers on this was that it was easy to copy content.

So when HDMI was being put together it included HDCP copy protection, and then the content providers started to only allow their content to be broadcast over an output with HDCP. It wouldn't work over HD component.

So then pretty much everything came with HDMI, but the original HDCP was compromised.

HDCP 2.0 was created to 'reset' the copy protection from the compromised version. I have to correct myself, it was in HDCP 2.1 that the content type was added, not 2.2. However then HDCP 2.0 and 2.1 were also both compromised.

So when HDCP 2.2 was created then updated so it could be set to only work for other HDCP 2.2 devices. HDCP 2.2 is now the version for true 4K content.

Unfortunately HDCP 2.2 is pretty much designed to want a full HDCP 2.2 chain. The reason the Virgin TV V6 box works when directly connected to TV is that it'll drop back to the supported version the TV supports, as it's the only device in the chain. However this then means that if you try and play 4K content that requires HDCP 2.2, it won't work if you're connected to a device that doesn't support it - even if the device is capable of the display format.

Some older 4K TVs only support HDCP 2.2 on one port (or not at all). Connect to the wrong one and you may get HD content upscaled to 4K, but 4K content itself won't play. This is why people on here have had problems with Netflix when connected to older 4K TVs until they change the port the Virgin V6 box is connected to.

machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 18 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thanks BenMcr
So what I need is a small non compliant gizmo at the output of V6?
Or will it still 'know' that there is a compliant device further down the chain?
I would really like to solve this problem since the V6 remote can't control the TV input changing so it means 3 remotes...
one of the points of buying the amp was simple switching
nick01972
Tuning in
Message 19 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi

This device solved my problem and continues to work fine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006KZBC92/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_K6yFzbN0T5ZHS

To get 5.1 sound you may need an optical cable from the V6 to the amp, which is what I needed to do. Only downside to this, on some channels the audio is not quite 100% synced to the picture.

Good luck

machineghost
Fibre optic
Message 20 of 38
Flag for a moderator

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006KZBC92/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_c_K6yFzbN0T5ZHS

Thanks this worked!
10 pounds for little box including HDMI cable and now V6 sends signal to amp ... no error message and I have 2 ch system so no problems with Dolby either, box is also powered by USB so plugs directly into V6

So thank you Chinese tech to bypass stupid HDCP protocol

0 Kudos