Menu
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 80
Flag for a moderator

V6 HD Picture Quality not as Good as TiVo?

Since having my V6, I'm almost certain that the picture quality on HD channels is nowhere near as good as it was on my previous TiVo. Additionally, SD channels look pretty bad on the V6 as well, however, if I'm totally honest, I barely see much difference between SD and HD channels in general. 

I have a Samsung 40" HD TV (Model UE40H5000AK) and on HDMI 1, where the V6 is connected, the screen resolution shows as 1280x720/50p. 

When I go to the Settings page of the V6, and Video Outputs, I see the following choices ticked:

1080p

1080p 24/25/30fps (pass through)

720p

I can't help feel though that my TiVo had a MUCH sharper and clearer picture on HD channels and you coul REALLY tell the difference between SD and HD however, on the V6, the difference between SD and HD is negligible. Do I need to make some adjustments? 

Smiley Indifferent

shawty1984
Rising star
Message 2 of 80
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V6 HD Picture Quality not as Good as TiVo?

Untick 720p as broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i.
deans6571
Super solver
Message 3 of 80
Flag for a moderator

shawty1984 wrote:
Untick 720p as broadcast HD in the UK is 1080i.

I have now unticked that but still don't think HD is as clear and sharp like it was on my TiVo.......maybe it's just me?!??? 

Even constantly switching back and forth from a SD channel and it's HD equivalent, the picture quality is negligible......

Smiley Frustrated

JamieMA
Up to speed
Message 4 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Just go back to a Tivo then. The V6 seems far too much hassle for you.

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

deans6571
Super solver
Message 5 of 80
Flag for a moderator

JamieMA wrote:

It's not that it's too much hassle, it's just that for a device that's touted as "Virgin Media's smallest, smartest, fastest TV box", it certainly isn't performing as great as I thought it would (for me anyway). 

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 80
Flag for a moderator

My experience is the opposite. In fact when my partner entered the room once the engineers had left, she immediately remarked how good the picture quality was.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 80
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

My experience is the opposite. In fact when my partner entered the room once the engineers had left, she immediately remarked how good the picture quality was.

Same here. It is better than TiVo because V6 upscales to the full extent of my 1080P TV.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 80
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

frank_gm wrote:

Same here. It is better than TiVo because V6 upscales to the full extent of my 1080P TV.

Which is exactly the same for me.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
JamieMA
Up to speed
Message 9 of 80
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

JamieMA wrote:

It's not that it's too much hassle, it's just that for a device that's touted as "Virgin Media's smallest, smartest, fastest TV box", it certainly isn't performing as great as I thought it would (for me anyway). 

....and you're on your third one. That's either very unlucky, given the myriad of issues you've had, or something else is causing the problem. 

As it goes, the picture on mine is lovely outputting to a Samsung UE40H5500. It's just the wake up bug which seems to be quite prevalent.  

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Rising star
Message 10 of 80
Flag for a moderator

The TV was doing that for your TiVo anyway. V6 must be good at scaling if you are seeing better image quality.
0 Kudos